1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zoysia for commercial use

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rad1959, Dec 7, 2005.

1. rad1959

rad1959 LawnSite Member

I'm up here in Rhode Island working for national chain.
    Wondering if Zoysia is used in commercial applications down south?
    GA, FL.
    If so, what are the pitfalls?
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Not very widespread because I think it cost a little more when bought in sod form. We had some extra from a residential job and put it at one of our commericial resturants and it is doing fine. In fact it looks like it is so thick that I think weeds would be less of a problem.
  3. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

I have it in a bunch of my older homes and I have installed. not too many commercial.
    the good
    Very very nice IN SEASON
    GREAT stripeing and they last
    I try to talk them into Rye overseed(Makes a LONG LONG season)
    here in NC it only grows from later in April to to first sub 45 degree day so that can be early sept sometimes.
    and grows slower and more even(no contract means i work that account every 2 weeks)
    If they dont wont Rye overseed I dont make much money
    Pluses for a commercial or Contract of any kind
    Dont allow for Rye and MAke a ton more with less work in the long run.
    If you allow for Rye you can alomst double the price.

If you plant it. You need at LEAST 3 years on contract to make the money back. at least here in NC
  4. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

zoysia is slow growing, which means lower maintenance...which is a good thing

it doesn't have a high fertilization demand....another good thing

it is very dense and is NOT prone to weed infestation....another good thing

It is relatively tolerant of traffic as well.

We have several commercial properties that are zoysia grass. Seems to hold up quite well. In shady areas it doesn't do all that great. But, then again, not many warm season grasses do.

In my area zoysia costs double of what common bermuda costs. Even hybrid bermuda is a large amount less expensive than Zoysia, so while being very maintenance friendly and hardy, Zoysia isn't nearly as popular as the less expensive warm season turf types.

5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i have only seen it in upper class residentials . never on comm props .
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it may be indicative of American's "what's the cheapest I can get it for today?" mentality that we don't use Zoysia more down here.

It's very attractive, requires half the mowing of Bermuda, but is only seen about 5% as often as hybrid Bermuda, which unless you maintain it super-intensively, doesn't look as good most of the time.

People are looking for cheap prices up front. Builders give them what they want. Of course the higher maintenance costs later more than outweigh the initial cost savings.

Zoysia won't tolerate wear as well as Bermuda, but will tolerate shade slightly better I think. It does green up a little slower sometimes, but if I were sodding my own lawn I would spend the extra $$ to use Emerald Zoysia.

Most commercial lawns vary a lot, from really nice to really pretty rough. I even noticed at Universal Studios this past w/e that they have what looks superfically nice, but the details of the lawn and the cut quality are pretty poor in some areas.
  7. Charles Odell

Charles Odell LawnSite Member

here in Central AR it is more common though .We have a
    large number of sod farms in this area, Bermuda is about 1.00
    to 1.25 yd Zoyzoia around 1.75 to 2.50 a yd So it is
    worth the extra to go Zoyzia
  8. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

You've got Quail Valley close to you...no fair...lol :D

I believe cavalier zoysia is the variety that I have seen come from Quail Valley. VERY nice turf.

9. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

All the above, plus it is slow to repair or fill in (negative). Seems more prone to fungus, usually from to much N under certain circumstances (negative) Pretty much needs to be bagged because the clipping breakdown is very, very slow (negative)
  10. mr.glenn

mr.glenn LawnSite Member

i have not had any luck with zoysia or it's genetic cousin any where north of raleigh,nc. it is just too cool for these grasses. here on several lawns that i have planted or sodded south of raleigh i have had better overall results with centipede. i have centipede now on all of my highend lawns except for a few fescue mixes and 1 zoysia and it is commercial.:blob3: