1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zoysia Grass (9000 Plugs)

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 4-Seasons, Mar 29, 2008.

1. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Got a customer who wants Zoysia Grass the live in a pretty shaded area. I measured it out and they need about 9000 plugs. How much work is it putting these in. How much should i charge etc.
  2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

I might be mistaken but zoysia grass doesn't tolerate shade to well especially the farther North you go.
  3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Jersey is about as far north as I've ever heard of it growin' and that was near the coast. I've heard plugs are a pain.
  4. Tallkracker

Tallkracker LawnSite Member

Don't bother with it. Zoysia and shade don't mix, and 9000 plugs is next to impossible. Just space the squares of sod down in a checkered pattern that will give you the best result's if your going to do it.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Plugging zoysia will give better results than sod but its a lot more work and like said before zoysia doesn't like shade.
  6. mrmumbels

mrmumbels LawnSite Member

can you explain this? i could not have imagined plugging my zoysia. weeds weeds weeds. and a whole summer without a good lawn
  7. lawnpro724

Plugs only need to be planted 12" apart and it is a time consuming task to do but you will have a healthier lawn. Zoysia sod is just laid over the planting area while plugs are placed into the planting area allowing better root system to develop allowing the plant to fill in much faster. Your plugged zoysia lawn should fill in completely in around 2 years depending on fertilizer and proper watering providing soil conditions are good to start with. The best time to plug your lawn would be at the end of April through mid May or when the temps are staying in the mid to upper 70s. A healthy zoysia lawn is the best defense against weed growth.
  8. mrmumbels

mrmumbels LawnSite Member

so if you have no grass to start with then you have to control weeds in between all these plugs for 2 years? Or you could sod, have no weeds and just wait 2 years for the roots to grow and have a nice lawn in the meantime. If I remember right zoysia sends stolons and rhimozones horizontaly then the roots grow down from these. The roots themselves don't grow sideways nor do they shoot out stolons or rhimozones as far as I know. Correct me if i'm wrong someone.
  9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

It would probably be wise to do some things to control the bulk of the weeds...especially the aggressive spreading and choking types.
    Zoysia spreads almost exclusively from stolons, and can get very thatchy especially if overfertilized repeatedly over time.

When I was a teenager, even before I got into this biz, my mom ordered a slew of zoysia plugs from a magazine, because our little-bitty bluegrass front yard (at that time) had been burnt out and killed by a drought.

Well....I thought it was a complete waste of time...placing those stupid "cubes" in the ground every foot or so apart !
    But regardless, she and I watered it religiously, for the remainder of that summer.

And y'know...that little lawn in western Cincinnati did develop into some thick zoysia turf....after at least 2 to 3 solid years, maybe more to fill in all the way around completely !

P.S.....If you've got a neighbor or two who you think might not care for your choice of grass species...better break the news to them now!!!
  10. lawnpro724

so whats your point?? The reason you plant plugs is so the the the plant can have good soil contact better than sod so it can get the nutrients to grow into a healthy lawn. Have you ever plugged a yard?? and yes it spreads horizontaly but without a healthy root system which is the main point of plugging in the first place its not going to do crap. A plugged yard is healthier all the way around compared to sod but it does take time to grow.