Zoysia Grass Dethatching

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jota112402, Dec 4, 2005.

1. jota112402

jota112402 LawnSite Member

Greetings,

I have zoysia grass in my back yard, which is flat for about 10-15 feet from the house, and then goes up a rather steep hill. Some of the grass on the flat part is dying, and I am suspecting excess thatch is the culprit. When is the proper time to dethatch zoysia grass? And what about scalping the lawn to help it grow in the spring...?

Thank you,

jota112402

2. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

probably the best time for dethatching is when the yard is actively growing, so probably for you the first part of June. However, i really doubt that this is the reason that your grass is dying, unless it is a horrible problem. Could it be staying too wet, and therefore diseased? if this is the case, the thatch could definitely be contributing to the problems.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

4. jota112402

jota112402 LawnSite Member

Thank you for your comments. I will watch the water flow and soil dampness very closely, and dethatch next summer...

jota112402

5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

How large of an area is this Zoysia patch?

I have a 1/2 acre of it (my front lawn) and when I dethatch (every other year) it is unreal how much thatch I have to haul away. I use a pull-behind lawn sweep to collect it and last Summer I hauled off 2 trailers (6.5 X 12) stacked full of it.

Be prepared. :D