Zoysia Grass in Michigan

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Skimastr105, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

My personal residence does not have irrigation. We live in midwest Michigan, in the "country", where we have to use a well to get water. The pump isnt large enough to supply an irrigation system because we have about 2 acres of lawn. A new well is not in our budget, nor is an irrigation system for that matter. I have been thinking about installing plugs of zoysia grass in the spring. What do you guys think if this idea?

Do you have any suggestions as to what type to get, where to get it, and approximatly how much it will cost?

I really like the way it grows in thick.. with minimal chemicals, fertilizer, and water. Plus, since it grows slowly, I can spend less time on my lawn, and more time on the customers, which I actually get paid for.

Thanks, Alec.

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember though, it will only look good (green) when it's HOT out! Never looks very green in any temps under 80F.

3. Skimastr105

If it is under 80, will it just look dead or... just not super lush?

4. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I wouldnt put that in my lawn if i was paid to.. I hate the stuff, doesnt mow for crap and only is green about 3 months. JMO

5. Skimastr105

It seems like I should look for another option. What would everyone suggest? Mind the fact that I do not and won't have irrigation.

I'll be honest... right now, my lawn looks like hell. I need something thick enough to keep most of the weeds out. I also do not want to use a ton of fert. or herbicide. If possible, I would like to do an overseed option... where the new grass will overtake the old. I really don't want to rip everything up and totally reseed.

6. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

If you have a license to spray and your lawn looks that bad, I'd hit it with roundup in the spring then aerate the heck out of it and overseed or aerate and slit seed it. You can do it without killing what you have, but if you arent happy with it, id get rid of it. As far as grass, i usually put down a blend of kentucky blue and rye, sometimes add some fescue as well. As far as not wanting to water your lawn, that is understandable, but without water you will somewhat of a hard time keeping it lush, especially if you have sandy/gravely soil. I have a lot of clay at my place, which is nice in the summer because it hold moisture longer, but once it drys out take longer for the water to get back into the ground as well. good luck with whatever you do

7. naturescape

It will look dead. Brown. Zoysia is a warm season turf, will survive in Michigan, but will only look green a few months in the year.

8. naturescape

A good combo in Michigan, and you should use a combo, is 1/3 fescue, 1/3 rye, and 1/3 kentucy blue. Park & Athletic Mix from Lesco works well. I also add some tall fescue (which is endophite enhanced) to it, which helps resist insect damage. This works well for all my overseeding I do, blends in with just about anything.

If you aren't watering, you won't have lush grass all year.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Stay away from the Zoysia idea. though it is a noel idea, it is trash here in Michigan. My sisters whole front yard is Zoysia. It stays green about 4 months out of the year - End of May to about end of September. Go with a combe like was mentioned above, or a REAL nice cultivar that is becoming more and more popular is with Turf Type tall Fescue. This stuff is real hardy, drought tolerant, and stays green when many others go dormant. The reason being, is because it grows such a deep root system. A great blend is Lesco's Teammates Plus mix. It has a blend of Kentucky Blue for good color and texture. We use it ALOT.
    Also, someone above mentioned that if you had a license, you could spray your lawn off and renovate. Well, you don't need a license to do this.

10. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

Now I'm not in Michigan but, if you want low/no water then I wouldn't be apposed to Zoysia. Yes it is brown most of the year but a good Zoysia lawn has a nice golden color to it. The fescue/bluegrass/rye will need much more attention with water/mowing etc... I like Zoysia and if you want to try some I would suggest doing a small area and see if you like it.