1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zoysia grass seed question... would this work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baldbeefman, May 11, 2001.

1. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

I just sodded my own yard with bermuda ($35 a pallet). I wish I had Zoysia though. I know Zoysia is dominate, but slow to spread. Could I take the clippings off of a good Zoysia lawn and spread them over mine and then just water it. Would this work?
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Up north, Zoysia is a weed. My Parents neighbor just spent countless hours trying to eradicate this dredful parasite from his lawn. Two shots of round up, rototilling and seeding, now its starting to sprout up in other areas! When its green Mid May till Sept its real lush and easy to cut, weed free. But the other 8 months of the year its yellow/brown and full of onion grass. YUCK

You can take all we got up here!
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You could if this was how Zoysia spread but it doesn't. Zoysia spreads by growing new plants off of the old plant. Zoysia lawns are started by planting plugs of Zoysia grass and then it just spreads from there.
  4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

You could aerate/overseed w/ zoysia seed bought from a supplier, but when you see the price ( 20-50$ per pound ) I think you'll learn to love the bermuda. as far as weed control goes, bermuda is far easier anyway. dave
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Stick with the Bermuda!