1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zoysia grass. what do i need to know

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hortboy, May 3, 2004.

1. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

Up here in the North east, don't encounter too much zoysia grass unless the customer put it in himself. Well i have an estimate to do Tues and the lawn is about 10,000 sq ft and 90% zoysia grass. Do I need to take anything into consideration when cutting this? Will it cause any headaches? I've never cut a lawn w/ that much in it. just want to cover my own tail.
  2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow....that's a cold climate for Zoysia. I've heard about some newer cultivars that are more hearty.

In any event, Zoysia has an optimal cutting height of 1 inch. If you use a rotary, you probably won't be able to accomplish that height. If you mow it higher, it will be less dense and more prone to developing thatch.

Be aware that Zoysia in general is a very dense turf that is challenging on the equipment to mow. Your blades should be as sharp as possible for that type of grass.

If you have a reel mower in your fleet, it would fare much better.

I personally would not alter my pricing for a zoysia versus any other type of lawn. However using a reel mower should always demand a higher rate.
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

TurfUnlimited is exactly right.You'll know it when that Zoysia starts thickening up.
    You can mulch early in the season and late in the season,but when it's growing you can forget about mulching zoysia unless it's one of the finer textured zoysia grasses.
    Either side discharge or bag during hot months.Bagging is preferable,but of course takes us more time and energy and if they want it bagged,be sure to charge more.
    I'm cutting zoysia at 2 inches right now.We've had a few hot days and it's really thickened up.Side discharging with a 44" Toro and 18HP Kohler Z.The Kohler knows when it's on the Zoysia lawn.
    BTW,Who the heck said this stuff doesn't grow fast?They lied.
  4. Danimal

Danimal LawnSite Member

I agree with turfunl. you shouldn't charge any more. You may want to be careful with rotary mowers thpugh I had a customer that I beleive over fert his grass got the folliage looking great but no root system we cut his front lawn with reel mowers and used a walker on the back it sucked the grass off the ground I stopped mowing when I realized what was happening but I had already cut one outline. This is something I had never seen before but it could happen to you.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

There are several cultivars of Zoysia and I found they have quite different attributes. I know Emerald is tough, dense, and does grow slower most of the time. I've only cut Meyer a little and it was more like Centipede to me. So your particular type of Zoysia might change how it mows.