Zoysia Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by billslawn89, May 1, 2008.

1. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

How tall should zoysia grass be kept cut. I have a client that has it around 4 inches and I've been cutting it at that height for the last 2 mowings, and he said he wanted me to cut it back to around 2 inches. I told him it will turn brown and die out. I told him that I will cut it no lower that 3 1/2 inches, in other words, drop the deck a 1/2 inch on the next mowing. Its a postage stamp lot and I use a 21" push mower on it cuz so many landscape areas. This is a real PITA client. This time of year, I've only been cutting him every 3 to 4 weeks due to no rain. Thanks all!

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Due to no rain, thats why he wants it cutt the ground so it will burn up ! Then you dont get to come out to cut ! NO cut ...no Money.

3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of Zoysia? I have Emerald and cut mine at 1 inch but you can go as low as 1/2"
    Not sure about other Zoysia's but you don't want to cut past the black part of the stem if you do it will take a long time to recover, no matter what height its at.

4. billslawn89

Ya I know..had clients like that before! As soon as they say they want it cut shorter, I know whats going on.... this is a new client I picked up and he's a real PITA so far. I'm in biz for appearance and quality, not quanty of lawns, after all, my name is on that lawn.

5. billslawn89

dave k, not sure what type, but I told the guy if you cut too short all at once then you will have no grass, just stems.... I'm going tommorrow to cut it at 1/2 inch lower at 3 1/2 and thats as low I'm going with it.

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

With a rotary style mower 1-1/2 to 2 inches is normal here.

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats weird, if you cut Zoysia here that low its gone.

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

We only see Emerald here, and 2" is perfect. Atleast it was til the dumba$$ customer read it should be cut at an inch and hired some guy to cut at 1" and bag. Now his yard is all jacked up and he's paying a fortune to Chem Lawn to try and treat it. I tried to warn him it can't be cut that low with a rotary mower but he was doctor and we all know doctors don't make mistakes......

9. billslawn89

Thanks for all your answers! Was helpful! I love this site!