Zoysia Grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ratodd, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ratodd

ratodd LawnSite Member

Just wanted to get some opions about Zoysia Grass, Is it a good grass to cover a yard with or is there something else anyone would recomend.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Where are you located?
  3. Okiebug003

Okiebug003 LawnSite Member

Depends on where you are located. In Oklahoma it seems to be a pretty good grass, compared to other alternatives. Bermuda doesn't look as good, and fescue is really hard to sustain. By the end of June through the middle of August you almost can keep up with it mowed once a week. It will go dormant in the winter and takes a while in the spring to green up. You'll need to low cut it every spring, which takes alot of work becasue its so thick. But to me, and where I'm located its the best looking turf during the summer.
  4. ljhanson12345

ljhanson12345 LawnSite Member

oh yeah; i like it
  5. Kutz Lawns

Kutz Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

The hotter & drier it is, the better it grows!

I'm in the process of converting my back yard over to Zoysia grass and it's coming along real well in this dry summer heat here.

I didn't use plugs like everyone else, I bought a half skid of Zoysia sod and cut each piece into three's and used patches and now I have a polka dot green grass backyard. All the old fesque grass is dry and dormant and the new Zoysia is nice & green.

The type of Zoysia I used is called Compadre and it's an early spring green up type Zoysia grass, deep green color, stands up tall and spreads like crazy!

In about two years it should all be Zoysia once it's filled it's way in.
  6. ericbl

ericbl LawnSite Member

I planted Jamur in November, gorgeous, plush, and tuff, it grows very dense having hell cutting it with my Toro lawn mower, I have to sharpen my blades about every three cuttings. but great looking grass
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Is it not best to cut Zoysia with a reel mower at about 1"?
  8. Kutz Lawns

Kutz Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I cut mine at about 2 inches and it seems to like that!

And yes, the blades have to be extremely sharp!

Walker goes right through it!
  9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That is interesting, I have a friend that has asked my advice on killing Common Bermuda in his Zoysia grass in SC. I've had a tremendous amount of schooling and practical use of herbicides, insecticides and fungicides in my farming operation for around forty years, but have never dealt with Zoysia grass. I have him set up to use .14 oz of Fusilade II and surfactant per 1000 sq. ft., knowing this is for suppression, to apply a full rate would kill the Zoysia as well. There is also a chemical named Ornamec which is the same chemical compound, only weaker. Fluazifop is the killing compound name, but you must be careful, the wording on their label is used to cover themselves of any liability.

For the suppression and/or control of Common Bermudagrass, Hybrid Bermudagrass and other grass weeds in Zoysia and Tall Fescue. Not for use on home lawns.
  10. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

This is an interesting topic... we started doing a couple of lawns here that are Zoysia and I had no idea how it should be cut at first. We've been cutting it at 3.75" just because that was about the height it was being cut at when we started. While it is very hot and dry here, you're saying that we should really be cutting it lower? I'd hate to do that and come back the next week and see a brown lawn instead of the lush green it is now.

I can't wait for the season of Not Summer to get here...