1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zoysia Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kseei, Mar 1, 2005.

1. kseei

kseei LawnSite Member

Has anyone had any experience with Zoysia grass. I have received flyers in the mail about this and it looks interesting. What if you live in the south where you need to water your foundation? Just curious.
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have one customer with Zoysia. He waters it and feeds it religously. He also mows it in between my weekly visits. The yard looks like a golf course. It is very similar to bermuda. It will go dormant before bermuda in the fall. It is also a little more shade tolerant than bermuda. Being a warm season grass, it would probably do well in your neck of the woods.
  3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I live in the south, just not the deep south. I had one client with Zoysia grass and I was impressed with it's texture and ability to crowd out weeds etc. One of the newer hybrids like Myers or Emerald would be a nice choice. Low maintainance and irrigation are benefits too. I vaguely recall someone mentioning the neccessity to water the foundation of a house, but cant remember why or for that matter why it would adversely effect your Zoysia should you choose to install it.

By the way, I have heard that it is better install plugs rather than the Zoysia seeds. Until recently it could only be propogated with plugs. Some questions have been raised about the seeds viabitity.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Zoysia has been around a long time. Its the PREMIUM grass around here. Best money I make is installing it. There are many different types of Zoysias out there. They all have different situations were one is better than the other. Comes with experience knowing the difference.

One of the newest and best on the market was developed in TX.
  5. student101

student101 LawnSite Member

Just how shade tolerant is it I live in Fort Worth Tx on 1.5 acres with Pecan trees and do not want to put out St Augustine sod would prefer to level seed, fertilize and water any suggestions.
  6. jcr4au

jcr4au LawnSite Member

I had a customer recently replace his Zoysia w/ ST. Aug. b/c the Zoysia was no where to be found in the shade.
  7. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

One thing to think about with Zoysia. If you cut it with a rotary mower, it's going to look like crap. It needs to be cut with a reel mower. These are exspensive to buy and maintain. Not say you can't cut it with a rotary, but for the best look, you really need a reel.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Really? I guess someone forgot to tell me that about 20 yrs ago. I still mow many nice zoysia lawns and the rotary does a beautiful job.
  9. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

I agree that it does look better when cut with a reel mower but so does bermuda. I cut several with my rotary mowers and they do not look like crap. They look quite nice actually, if the blades are sharp when you cut it.