Zoysia Install

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Landscape Poet, Jul 5, 2011.

1. GatorinFla

GatorinFla LawnSite Member

Shorter= Denser

2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Bugs n bows

You said somthing interesting. You said Jamar......can you tell me where I can pull this from locally? I have a client that wants 14 palletsinstalled but only jamar. I called Orange county extension, sod solutions, bethal farms and several other trying to find with no luck
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Landscape Poet

But at what cost I guess is my question, cultivator dependent of course, Empire in particular. I would assume that there are pluses to each side of height, and that was I was interested in hearing especially from the Chem guys. In a ideal world what would they want all their Zoysia lawns cut at in FL and what reasoning behind the desired cut height.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

S & K in St. Cloud lists it. That's the closest I found.

5. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

The grass will go dormant in the winter and will not need to cut it. Alot of people are switching over to this stuff. Will soon replace St.Augustine . Most who have it cant see paying a lawn guy in the winter when it really dont grow. :( That is why I still like St.augustine. Still have to cut in winter.

6. Plantculture

Plantculture LawnSite Member

Mowing it shorter and going lean on Nitrogen and proper water helps to reduce thatch build-up. It will still need to be verticut periodically.
    I don't believe mowing height relates to disease incidence.
    Greendoc may have some insight on that.

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I mow plenty at 3.5-4 inches that look fine for what the customers want. Most don't want it shorter as it tends to need more maintenance. Either way I still cut every week they just save penny's on water. I've seen many homeowners lose there Zoysia due to drought tolerant not proof confusion. I like my Grand Parents Bermuda much better than the Zoysia only downside is mowing it about every 5 days for it to look good and bagging with the old mcclane kinda sucks. I tried mowing some Zoysia with the reel but the customers flipped out when I told them how short I planned on take it down to. I wasn't just going to shave it either probably take .25 inches extra off at a time. One down side to Zoysia is it really only looks good about 7 months out of the year last year.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  8. Landscape Poet

Not overly concerned about it at this point. It is growing and the request for it are getting crazy BUT if people want to not have their lawn maintained year round that is fine, but they have to understand that their is a premium for the months of service vs the current standard we have here in FL. Trust me when I say I am from up north and would have no issue getting a better price per cut and not showing up at all winter or if we have a good warm winter earning a little extra, but the simple fact is, you, me - we have to be able to support ourselves from this - and most reasonable people will understand that.

9. Landscape Poet

That is what I am looking for I guess. Insight from you guys that are doing the chemicals - what are your thoughts. Dependent on who you talk to, it is a pretty well believed notion with many that mowing height does related to diseases (well stresses for sure any way). I am looking for info in what you L & O folk think, so that I can help you achieve your desired results, which in turn, helps me achieve mine.

10. Landscape Poet

Unknown - with the lawns maintained at the higher cut heights - do they not appear puffy? The way I describe the zoysia lawns that I have seen cut higher is that they look like a giant "Afro Puff" of a lawn. I am assuming that is related to the thatch being built up as plantculture referenced.