1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zoysia Install

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Landscape Poet, Jul 5, 2011.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Check your PM.
  2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks and will do.
  3. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

Possibly Frank Polly Sod (352-429-9162) in Groveland FL can get it (I'm not sure who his supplier is). Frank told me (about the Jamur) a couple of weeks ago when he was having trouble getting Empire.
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In my area, closely mowed zoysia looks really nice, I mean like golf fairway grass or golf green grass even. However, the level of maintenance is also equivalent. I think you have read my other posts concerning 1/2-3/4 lb of N per month and a minimum of 1/4 lb K per month as well as sufficient available iron and manganese. This regime serves two purposes: It keeps the golf turf look and it helps to prevent diseases. If I ever starve my zoysia, I get to deal with dollar spot. I have never seen it personally, however, I suspect that thick(over 1" HOC) zoysia will tend to get more brown patch and pythium due to the high levels of moisture retained in the canopy. It is also hard to get even a liquid fertilizer down into zoysia kept that high.

What I tell clients that are hesitant to cut zoysia down to the ground and keep it at the right height is that it will look bad for a little while, but it will then finish the year looking like golf turf. Cutting off a little at a time just prolongs the poor appearance. It is quite normal here to take a brush cutter with carbide tipped circular blades and saw the thatched grass down to the ground. The trash literally comes up like a bad carpet for disposal. Regular walk behind dethatchers and verticut machines usually jam if made to go through zoysia, hence the saw blade on the brush cutter. A sod cutter set to skim just above the soil level will also work. Once all of the overgrowth is removed, maintenance is easy. A common engine driven reel mower will maintain the appearance. If a lawn takes excessive effort to mow with a reel mower, that is a sign that it needs to be cut down to the ground.
  5. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

I cut the Empire zoysia at my house with a 25" tru cut. Super nice grass. I cut at 1". Once I top dress I will lower it to .5" Extremely dense and resilient grass.

I have to take the reel mower to the shop, for some reason it is cutting slightly lower on one side leaving a noticeable stripe. I also have the roller attached to the mower.
  6. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

7. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats good stuff.
  8. YoungClay

YoungClay LawnSite Member

I cut my Zenith lawn at 2.75"...My terrain isnt completely level, so in some spots, the actual cut height is .75" and other areas are as high as 4". I think that the 2.5"-4" areas look the best.

As far as fertilization goes, I've been applying about 1/2 lb of nitrogen in the form of 18-24-12 every 40 days...if I go over 50 days without feeding it, I start to notice rust fungus.

I am seeing how long I can go this year without any sort of irrigation. So far, mother nature has been doing her job...lawn looks great right now.

I am a homeowner, not a professional.
  9. I personally like the 1.5-2" on the empire, but also think the greens height looks good too.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. YoungClay

YoungClay LawnSite Member

its amazing how different the same grass can look when mowed at different heights.