Zoysia lawn needs help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gcorley, May 26, 2005.

1. gcorley

gcorley LawnSite Member

I have an established zoysia lawn that I need to get in better shape. It has its share of clover and other weeds in it. The weeds are especially bad under a large oak tree. I have not done a soil test. I have never put anything on it to control weeds, and I usually fertilize with triple 17 once or twice a season. Any suggestions to get this lawn looking better at a reasonable price? I am located in South Carolina, and do not have an irrigation system.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

3. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

For sure send in a soil sample, but you need to get some food to it, soon. The temps are getting up, a little, finally, so it'll respond to some fert fairly well. I personally like 24-5-11 for zoysia, but at this point, anything will do, just keep the middle number (Phosphorous) below 10, until you get the results back from your soil test. Just remember, DON'T OVERDO IT WHEN YOU FERTILIZE OR YOU WILL HAVE TO REPLACE IT instead of restore it.

4. gcorley

gcorley LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, I will get that soil sample sent right away. What about the clover and other weeds. What brand weed preventer is good and easy to apply? I am thinking a granular that I can broadcast.

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I would use a liquid with a hose end sprayer or a 2 gallon tank. Granular will be difficult on clover. The stuff has to stick and you will need multiple applications.

6. Williams Services

gcorley,
    Unless you have a large area to treat without sufficient hose to reach, I would do as marko said and go liquid. If you use granules, you'll have to do it when it's wet, in order for the AI to stick to the leaf. Otherwise, pick up a good hose-end spray and follow the label.

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove LawnSite Member

Zoysia also will not thrive in shade, under that tree the zoysia will always be thin and weak and thus allow weeds to invade. Maybe plant some cool season grasses in the shadier areas. Here in the Mid West I would fert zoysia at a rate of 1.5 lbs N per 1,000 in June, July, and Aug., none during the cooler times of year. Also here we have to apply an insecticide for chinch bugs and watch out for billbugs.

8. Williams Services

True that, about the shade. An option to reduce it would be to trim the basal limbs off, up to about 20-25 feet, depending on the tree.

9. TMarch

TMarch LawnSite Member

Do you mean 1/2Lb N per month