Zoysia pictures and my new to me mower.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by greendoctor, Oct 10, 2013.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

green doc. Very nice. I have a question for ya. Have you ever sprayed MSM on zoysia and had any growth results after you sprayed? thanks

2. olajoe808

olajoe808 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5b

Very little to desire locally here. Little to no moisture, terrible growing condtions and endless pools of labor. If there is anything more fertile than hawaiian soils haven't found it naturally in the rockies without having to create it.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Sure have. MSM is only applied 2 weeks after a liquid fertilizer application. If applied to an unfertilized lawn, I will see rather dramatic yellowing and stunting.

4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I never detached it and did so this spring, had a mountain of clippings/thatch come out, I cut it down to 1/4 before I did it, I think it can still use more but will see how it goes, I am going to keep it at 1/2" this year and see how that goes I was keeping it at 7/8" which was to high.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

People in Hawaii keep their Emerald as low as 1/4". Those lawns never need dethatching. Those lawns are also not watered much, if at all and are not fertilized. Grass looks like it is almost dead, but it is not. I have come to really dislike most varieties of zoysia. Only way to make them look good is lots of water and fertilizer. Doing that gives you a thatch problem unless you mow really low very often.

6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

My Emerald is slowly coming back, I raised the HOC to 5/8" which looks good, it should be completely healed by the end of July.