1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zoysia Problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by drumbo, Nov 4, 2007.

1. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

I have been having these things show up in my Zoysia yard for a few seasons now. This is my personal lawn.

At first, I thought they were rocks. I went & kicked them hard with my steel-toe boots and about broke my toes. They are EXTREMELY hard and when you finally bust them, they have a dark spore dust that emits from them.

Also, as they progress, they eventually kinda bloom out like a serated 8-10 point star pattern and they look like dark brown bumps inside. I can't seem to find out what they are but I suspect some fungus...as I believe that dust to be spore-like.

I would go get a picture, but it is dark now and I might try tomorrow or get a light for the camera.

Any guesses? or links to pictures of guesses?

My toes are still in pain.

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know. I've never heard of that. Zoysia is not common in S. Ohio.
    Sounds like you could maybe make some $$$ off of this! Give Paramount Pictures a call! :laugh:
  3. drumbo

Thanks for....whatever.

Anyone else?
  4. MyKisa

MyKisa LawnSite Member

interesting how the mower guy knows what is wrong in this country, before the elected get around to it
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You are probably right--fungus. Earth star or birds nest fungus. Dusty powdery spores.
  6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

no doubt it's alien eggs! No doubt in my mind!
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Simple cure. Get a bag of fungicide and cut your watering back and only in the morning.:usflag::usflag::usflag:
    ericg likes this.
  8. drumbo

We don't water at all...except for rainfall, of course. Hardly anyone up here has irrigation.
  9. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Go take a look here!

I am familiar with the type you are talking about. However, I haven't taken the time to research their origin and type. Not a real problem for us since, we are the only one's on our customer's sites.