Zoysia sod layed in hybrid bermuda yard - some taking fully, some not at all. Help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Threxx, May 22, 2006.

1. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Well it has been planted for about 6-7 weeks now. It has been mostly surprisingly cool weather for the Memphis area with a good amount of rain. That combined with the sprinkler system in this yard this palisades zoysia has been getting a very good amount of water.

So I'd expect this could be a fungus problem? But first of all the areas that stay the MOST drenched/swampy and get the LEAST light have been consistantly the most healthy out of all of them. So that doesn't make sense to me... but furthermore about 3 weeks ago I sprayed a good solid fungicide and haven't seen any significant rebound.

So now I'm left wondering what's going on and am watching quite a few of these completely or 95% dead looking zoysia sod patches wither away into flaky bits of 'hay' while they get overtaken by the relentless hybrid bermuda which was weed-whacked and scalped back completely before placement of the sod and has since managed to not only regrow with zero sunlight (being covered up) and with zoysia sitting on top of it, but has managed to pierce through the sod and is now overtaking these 'dead/dormant' sod pieces.

Have a look for yourself - I took pics of a variety of them. I'd say about 1/3rd of them range from 95% dead/dormant to 100% - they may show some green but it's entirely or at least mostly bermuda taking over. The other 2/3rds range from completely healthy looking to at least mostly growing to a couple with some yellowish tint to the blades, which concerns me but so far is very limited.

I guess I didn't get any good clear pics but there are areas where almost dead sod is literally 2 feet from flourishing healthy sod...

I'm thinking should I wait or just rip this stuff up and replace it with a second round of palisades?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

what type of site preparation was done b/f sod? Did you see active mycelium or send a sample away to tell if you had gotten any disease? What did you spray?

3. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Thanks much for the quick reply.:)

A string trimmer was taken to the ground and scalped the existing bermuda. I honestly figured a tiller was what was supposed to be used but it was not. Too late now.

How would I see active mycelium? FWIW I have looked pretty carefully and not notice any visible sort of powder or growth.

Where could I send a sample?

I sprayed "Endorse" powder mixed at the proper rate with water and sprayed the entire front lawn and most of the back.

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

active mycelium in the mornings is what i meant. it looks like those pieces of sod that died couldn't root and burned up? but you said that the lawn had plenty of water. but dealing with burmuda is a different animal.
    you could take a chunck of the dead stuff, wrap it in saran wrap and send it to a turf pathologist. make sure the sample is wrapped tightly and put lots of duck tape around it. reason being , by the time the sample gets there, any disease will have rapidly multiplied. they will be able to give you a full report.
    or just rip out dead stuff and put done some more sod, just make sure you modify the soil this time. :)
    what is "endorse" labeled to control?

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm almost speechless here regarding how to respond......

So if I read this correctly, the existing Bermuda was weed-whacked and then Zoysia sod was installed on top?????? Whoa!

If that is accurate there is no point going any further. Your Zoysia will have a very difficult time rooting down because the Bermuda is competing with it. What little Zoysia does survive will be taken over eventually by the Bermuda. You will then have a lawn which is mix of the two.

It is possible to suppress the Bermuda with Fusilade and others, but it will be an ongoing battle. The existing Bermuda should have been hammered with Glyphosate and tilled before installing the Zoysia at a minimum.

FWIW, the first Zoysia picture seems to indicate your soil is deficient in both Phosphorus and Potassium.

6. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Yeah, doesn't seem ideal but I don't really know for sure - if it's nearly as effective and a whole lot less time consuming then maybe it's the best way to go. But then again I do have a with 300 bucks worth of zoysia that appears to be dead as a door mat.

I've read time and time again and heard from more than one person that Zoysia will take over hybrid bermuda over the long run. I've even seen it happen. Are you saying based on in the install not allowing proper rooting that it might not happen that way or are you saying that in your experience zoysia cannot force bermuda out of a lawn regardless?

Strange... if anything I'm worried it might have too much phosphorous. Not sure about potassium though... never put that down though... thanks for the heads up.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Bermudagrass has a much faster growth rate than Zoysia. Therefore it will prevail in equal conditions.

Also since some of your Zoysia has not rooted, guess what will be growing in those spots very soon.

8. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

That just doesn't make sense - I've personally seen zoysia taking over bermuda here in my own neighborhood, and I know people plug bermuda lawns with zoysia to accomplish much the same.

9. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, but that is incorrect.

The Bermuda will outcompete the Zoysia.

You should have killed the Bermuda, broken the ground, smoothed it out, THEN laid the sod.

10. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen zoysia outcompete Bermuda in areas with half a day of sunlight, but not in full sunlight. You pictures show almost no shade. Has anyone seen zoysia outcompete bermuda in full sunlight without chemical aid?