Zoysia?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TaylorLawn, Jan 2, 2003.

1. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Zoysia species? I have never dealt with it, but in my reading it sounds like a good grassplant for my area, warm-season and high tolerance??? I can remember about 20 years ago seeing the "mow your lawn once a year" flyers in the Sunday newspapers.....I always blew it off, but if I recall correctly it was an advertisement for Zoysia plugs............just wondering....Eric

2. I read an article in Farm show magazine about that 3 days ago, suposidly its supposed tp stay at 3 1/2 inches all year round

3. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

Sounds like laying a couple of pallets of the stuff could be a business killer to me......Eric

4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

have been mowing 1 zoysia yard for 2 seasons.looks wonderful,for about 4 months out of the year!it's sooo thick,must mow and bag every 7 days.sounds great right ? wrong!if it rains , or you have to do it a day or two late,a thirty minute job turns into a two hour nightmare!we still make only 30 bucks.but if you insist on it, email me on some upkeep tips.:p

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Alot of my accounts are Zoysia. Its the "premo" of grasses here. Its my favorite. Its does grow quite fast, and does have to be maintained on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. If it gets too high it will have to be bagged because of its thickness. This turf is so thick that it actually chokes out weeds and other grasses. If it creeps into beds and unwanted places, it is easier to control than Bermuda, but it does have a tendency to creep just like Bermuda. If there are any questions about this turf, I will help to the best of my knowledge.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Zoysia grass is very thick. You can acually here the mower engine slow a bit while cutting through it. Another downside is it turns al brown in the winter.

7. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Just because it is a warm season grass does not mean it will do well that far south. Personally I hate the stuff. It looks great from June - November but after that it turns straw yellow and looks horrible. Around here tall fescue stays green all year round and is overall far superior. If you try it let us know how it does.

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

PLANT THAT ZOYSIA AN SEE HOW YA LIKE MOWING IT WHEN IT GETS ALITTLE BIT HIGH. THAT **** IS TERRIBLE .BESIDES THE MOWING IT IT BROWNS OUT IN THE WINTER,WONT HANDLE ABIT OF DROUGHT AN DOESNT TURN GREEN UNTIL AROUND MAY.ITS THE WORST OF THE WORST IT A SPREDER TYPE GRASS AN ITS RUNS EVERYWHERE .I WOULDNT EVEN PUT THIS SEED IN MY WORST ENEMIES YARD OR THEN AGAIN MITE BE A GOOD THING !! HAVE FUN AN STICK WITH A BROADLEAF FESCUE BUDDY ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE THANKS GEORGE

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

badboygeorge opines:

"PLANT THAT ZOYSIA AN SEE HOW YA LIKE MOWING IT WHEN IT GETS ALITTLE BIT HIGH. THAT **** IS TERRIBLE .BESIDES THE MOWING IT IT BROWNS OUT IN THE WINTER,WONT HANDLE ABIT OF DROUGHT AN DOESNT TURN GREEN UNTIL AROUND MAY.ITS THE WORST OF THE WORST IT A SPREDER TYPE GRASS AN ITS RUNS EVERYWHERE .I WOULDNT EVEN PUT THIS SEED IN MY WORST ENEMIES YARD OR THEN AGAIN MITE BE A GOOD THING !! HAVE FUN AN STICK WITH A BROADLEAF FESCUE BUDDY ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE THANKS GEORGE"

Now, listen to greenman...as it is obvous that he actually has some experience with this type of turf.

Thats funny......but my zoysia lawn turns nice and green in mid-to late march, is VERY drought resistant (thick and green when the rest are burned to a crisp), is VERY resistant to weed and insect infestation, is no problem to mow with a little bit of power and sharp blades, it has not invaded my neighbor's creeping red lawn (yuck!), and is super-durable when it comes to high traffic wear. Here it starts going dormant in late-october...so depending on the season, I typically get 7 to 8 months of green from mine. It does prefer a lot of sun so I would not recommend it for shady areas. Otherwise, out of all the different types of turf I maintain...I feel that zoysia beats them all in durability, ease of maintainance, wear factor, and of course...appearance. It is a highly desirable turf...and is catagorized as a "luxury lawn" by any standard...and for good reason. Yes, I have to mow it weekly as it grows as fast as any other species...at least around my area.

"Worst of the worst"??? Hardly.

BTW:

Where can I get some zoysia seeds??? I was under the impression that it was either sodded, sprigged, or plugged. Hmmmmm.......

TaylorLawns:

If you do decide to go with this awesome species I would recommend that you find a reputable turfgrass supplier and go with either sod or sprigs. The mail-order plugs will usually not give the best results. One of the nice things about having an established zoysia lawn is that if you have a stump removed, or need to repair the turf where a utility supply line was installed, all you have to do is pull your own plugs from the lawn and transplant them in the desired spot. A little water and, boom!...you are all set! :)

SLS has attached this image:

[​IMG]

Would I trade my zoysia for another variety of turf??? Especially after having experienced the 'ups and downs' of a bunch of other types...particularly fescues??? NO WAY! :D

10. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I like it good looking grass with just a little fert and water. The only down side is that it has to be cut a heck of a lot more than any other grass that i have ever delt with.