zoysia ???????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hustlinfireman, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Hustlinfireman

Hustlinfireman LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, I have just picked up another account today and the lawn is zoysia. This lawn is the only lawn in my town in NC that is this type of grass. The homeowner is the pastor of my church and the youth have been taking care of this yard but they have slaughtered it in the past as in mowing to like 2 inches. Well he has had enough with his lawn looking like junk. That he came to me an said please help. The grass is up to about 4- 4 1/2" currently. Being that this grass is not cammon to me does anyone have any suggestions on the care of zoysia?:confused:. Centipede is the dominant grass to my area with some St. Aug's. Help me if you can.

thanks

2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

cut it at 2.5", and in my expierience it only looks good bagged.

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Do a search on zoysia. Been discussed before. I posted quite a bit on zoysia. If its 4 to 4.5" tall, no biggie. Cut the tops off. I cut mine at 3.5",sometimes 4". Oh, zoysia stripes well for a warm season turf. If you cant find the answer(s) in the search, post again with your concerns, Glad to help if I can. I maintain quite a few zoysia lawns.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I cut a lot of Zoysia, I also have a real nice stand of it at my house. I love the stuff. Its the premium grass here. I cut it at 2.75" to 3.25" and I never bag it. I run the eXmark mulching kits and you can't tell that it wasn't bagged. It does look really bad if its side discharged.

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Same as Hoss, I run Exmark mulching kits and never bag it. Looks like it's bagged. It can look good at any height. One of the biggest things to remember is to scalp (got to be bagged for this) the first cut of the season, just before it greens up. Low as you want. 1",1,5". 2".

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's some zoysia help for you Zoysia