ZRider stuck in the mud...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TotalCareSolutions, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Was mowing a bank with my Emark LZ two days ago......front right dropped down, mower took 90 degree turn downhill, and wheels just spun trying to back up the hill. It was about a 30 foot drop off, so I couldn't drive down and back out. Shut it down, put the brake on, and went and got my Walker and chain and pulled it out.

Could have been serious if I wasn't able to stop it on the bank....another 2 feet and the mower and I would have taken a serious ride.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

A few weeks ago my mom got my Z-Master stuck, I tried to pull her out with the Walker and got that stuck! Then I tried to pull the Walker out with my F-250 and got that stuck. My truck is 2WD.

The good thing is the neighbor had a 4WD and was able to pull everything out. The bad thing is his truck was a Chevy! :D

Every one of us has some day's like that.

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

One of my guys just yesterday got the ZTR stuck in mud, and the machine slid sideways right into prickers. He and another guy got it out, minus a couple quarts of blood.

Onto the next job... unloaded the mower, zipped across the parking lot to mow. When coming back realized he'd left a trail of dirt chunks in the parking lot, had to spend extra time blowing it off.

The day turned out fine, it was funny more than anything.

I'm happy I've got guys who make the effort to cleanup a job. In the past I've had employees who it wouldn't have even occured to them to cleanup the mess ("It was just dirt in a parking lot, who cares?" ).

4. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

OMG this thread is hilarious. I laugh more each time a read a story. Im sitting here looking out the window at the rain. Im heading out soon, because it’s just sprinkling now.

If I get stuck, with my ZTR im just going to leave it they’re this time, lol.

5. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

GLAD I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D
    Sunk my Exmark TurfRanger last week in a retention basin, in the middle, where I know better than to go!!! Trying to hurry and beat a rain storm and skirt the edge of the REALLY wet area, OOOOOPs, too close. Sunk up to the frame, tried to raise deck and walk it back out of the mess, no avail. Oh by the way there are no trees in a retention basin to attach a come-a-long to. Tried a fence post driven in behind mower, didn't work. My best-friend, next door neighbor was lucky enough for me to be on vacation and has a Honda four-wheeler. Took both of us a couple of hours to dig and pull the thing out. Lesson learned:D :D

6. never got it stuck in the mud , just lost traction . i just held it balls to the wall and it drove out of the mud. but i have got stuck pleanty in ditches, trying to turn in the bottom and forgetting about the back roller that keeps u from doing too much of a wheelie, it getting wedged into the dirt and having to reet the front end around to get traction and drive outta it.

7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Stuck? Never not me!:D :D

Here is an idea for you get a had crank winch. Mount it on a receiver. Now get a piece of tubing and mount it on the front of trailer. Then if you get stuck you can put it on your truck and then winch it out. If it won't run then you can hook it on the trailer and winch it up the ramp and onto the trailer. Better than nephews.:D :D

8. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

Well, the one I love, is I am down to my knees in mud, pissed off as heck, I cannot get the truck back to hook to the stuck Lazer, the Dixon nor the Gravely would pull it out, I am about 10' short of chain or strap to get to anything solid, it's getting dark, and the wife (who was driving the mower) say's

I knew I should not have pulled in there after the first time I got stuck.

Good thing she is the boss or I would have fired her!!!!:D

Al B

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I get my ZTR's stuck in the mud a lot in the Spring. If we are going to mow a property with a lot of soft spots, I always take along a second ZTR in case we need to tow one out. A while back we forgot to take any rope or chain. Ended up pulling one of the Grasshoppers out by using a set of jumper cables we had on the truck. Got to be creative sometimes! :D

10. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO when I saw this thread on top tonight........
    Guess what I did today ?!?!?

Yep..... buried the Lazer in the mud in the back yard of a new customer's home........ oh yeah, it's on a golf course..... Mower was stuck in sight of the course, I'm sure a couple guys got a laugh outta it....... anyways, Thanks to the efforts of Marco, and Hector who were cutting trees next door, I was able to get the machine out and finish mowing........
    It's a great thing when someone goes out of their way to help out, even though they're helping the competition. Just a couple guys who've been there before, trying to help out another person in need....... I couldn't thank them enough, and they wouldn't take any $$$...... Good guys!:cool: