ZSpray mix rate?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Joshuakwhit, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Joshuakwhit

Joshuakwhit LawnSite Member

Went back to few stops that I treated 2 weeks ago and I was disappointed in what I saw. This is my first Rd. 1 app. Using a ride-on, never did I have troubles pulling a hose. So, my question is to you "Z' ers", what rate are you mixing, regular three- way, and sticker being used? Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on the tips.. if you have the 1/3 gallon per k tip you might not have mixed it strong enough..

I myself use the 1gallon per k tip but I only spray my yard with my jr

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

What rate of 3-way are you spraying? What is you spray volume rate? Did you calibrate the sprayer?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Joshuakwhit

Mid- range 1.3 ozs or 70 ozs. per fill. I run 1/3 tips. If by calibration you mean, setting the pressure at 40 psi and run 5 mph, then yes I have calibrated. Is that not right?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I run three way or Momentum FX2 at 2.5 ounces per gallon with 1/3rd tips for regular days which can be a mix of smalls or acre jobs so you need to consider what speed you can maintain.

If I am on wide open acreage for entire tank mixes I'll run it hotter at about 3 ounces per gallon and maybe bump my psi to 45-50.
    The trick is finding your sweet spot. If you're doing five thousand square footers all day you mix it weak. If you're on acres all day or wider stuff you can mix it hotter because you will be able to maintain a faster speed. On smalls you'll go slower obviously.

Most days I am mixing two quarts (64 oz or a half gallon) per 25 gallon Max tank which gives me 2.5 per gallon for about 8 tenths of an ounce per thousand.

So getting 1.1 to 1.75 ounces per thousand takes speed management at that point. Smalls will get it because I can't go 5 MPH. Larger ones will get it because I won't go 5 MPH knowing I need to slow down to achieve my target AI rate.

Confused yet?

It's probably too cold for the weed control to work in your area. Weeds "Actively" growing?

Don't worry about it. You're doing fine. :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

.8 oz per K? That seems a little weak. I run at the full 1.5 oz/K for three way and similars, and have never had problem with any herbicide damage out of my Mag. And sometimes on bad areas I hit the same area twice or kick it into low gear.

7. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

While the 40 psi and 5 mph is the suggested setting I would trust that is putting out the rate you want. I would suggest running some water through the system and see how it cones out. Maybe mark off 1000 sqft, spray it and see what you use.

Also remember the volume of spray will differ between a large open area with few obstacles and a tight 9k home lawn where you will have lots of turns and overlapping.

8. Joshuakwhit

Grassmaster what rate are you spraying? Is anybody using a sticker?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

MSO 1oz/gal with 1/3 tips

You should be smoking weeds at 1.3 oz/1000 3-way

What's been your temps?

10. Joshuakwhit

It's been up and down from 50s to even 80s a day or so, nightly temps., from 30s up to a night or two to the middle 50s. I thought I would be doing pretty good on weeds too, but now I have to go back out and retreat and unfortunate for me is that was an HOA 230k.
    How many of you are running a foamer?
    Posted via Mobile Device