zt2800 with charge pumps??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Robin, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Robin

Robin LawnSite Member

For those of you that run (entry level commercial) mowers with zt2800 with charge pumps , what are your opinions on those transmissions? How many hours do you get out of them on average? Cost to replace them? I can talk to a dealer about them but still I would be talking to someone wanting to make a sell or someone wanting me to make an upgrade for a larger sell. So I thought I would ask those who use them and who has nothing to gain from telling the honest truth.

Thanks

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

3. Robin

Robin LawnSite Member

Thanks Topsites. That thread is a little old and I had hoped to get some more feedback from those that has run the zt 2800's for a couple of years. Anyone??

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

hmmm. I have a phazer with 44 hours. no probs yet.

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

In this archive thread Envy lawn Service seems to be using the terms IZT and ZT-2800 interchangeably ... this seems to suggest that they are the same thing ... correct ??

6. lifetree

I have a 2006 Dixon RAM MAG 50" ZTR, the spec sheet from Dixon listed them as IZT transaxles ... then for the 2007 model year Husqvarna listed the spec sheet showing ZT-2800 transaxles !! Also, after having looked at the owner manual it says it has "an IZT drive with integral charge pump and 7" cooling fan" ... this would lead me to believe that the IZT and ZT-2800 transaxles are the same thing !!

Well, in any event, I can report that my ZTR sat unused for 2 months during the summer because I had surgery and couldn't do anything. When I finally went out to the garage and moved the ZTR I noticed that there was some thick green fluid on the floor, I assume this is from the IZT transaxle. This surprised me because my ZTR is 1 1/2 years old and only has about 120 hours on it. Luckily, it's still covered under the warranty so I'm going to have the dealer look into it and see what he thinks. By my way of thinking on this situation, the drive, or drives, should be replaced. Unless someone here on LawnSite can suggest anything else. Any comments ??

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Lets see what the dealer says.

8. lifetree

Just got the machine back from the dealer, he said it's not the IZT drives on it !! Apparently, when Dixon puts a new machine together the grease that they use is colored blue and when the machine is serviced they use regular brown grease ... alas, the mixture of these 2 colors of grease apparently produces a greenish colored grease that must have leaked out when the machine sat for an extended period in the garage over the summer.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, here is how to understand this...

The ZT-2800 is an IZT... Integrated Zeroturn Transaxle (I thing those are the words)

The point here is that they are integrated drives, rather than a pump and wheel motor setup.

Many machines out there use IZT's... from the really crappy homeowner ZTR's, to entry level ZTR's, to compact commercial ZTR's, to hydro walkbehinds such as the Husqvarna, to commercial walkbehinds such as the Ferris Dual drive and the Walker Walkbehind, on up to full blown commercial riders such as the Kubota ZG and ZD series, and Walkers. Grasshopper also used them at one time and might still use them on some of the smaller outfronts.

What is critically important with drive systems is not the configuration, but the GRADE of the system and the field track record of the system in various MFG's applications.

To put it straight, it does not matter rather or not it's an IZT drive or a pump/motor setup. What matters is that the system is not the disposable type they put on homeowner junk... AND that the drive system has a reliable field track record on the specific mower you are looking at.

MFG's such as Walker and Ferris seem to have no problems out of their full blown commercial grade Eaton IZT's.

The ZT-2800 I believe is a newer Hydrogear model that I think was made to fill the gap between the homeowner junk IZT's (sealed for life/non-repairable) and the Eaton drives.

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Husky uses the izts on their hydro w/bs???