Ztr 101

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nfisher330, Jul 6, 2004.

1. nfisher330

nfisher330 LawnSite Member

OK...bought 2 757s, a GS 75, and all the blowers and edgers. I have a 4.5 acre lawn (cut grass) around my house. Started practicing... Noticed that when I make my turn, I am tearing up the grass on the inside wheel where it pivots. I played with it, and never quite figured it out. What's the trick? There has to be a way to do it without tearing grass.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Y turns and never let one wheel stop turning. When you pivot on one wheel you tear the turf.

3. not_as_noun

not_as_noun LawnSite Member
    from West GA

Just FYI, by a Y turn, he means traveling up the Y to the fork, turn left slightly (or right, depends on your situation) then backing in a around in a U.

4. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly as they have said. Pivot turns on turf will tear sod every time. Perfect the "Y" turn and you'll please every customer.

TWO 757's, eh? Lucky dog!

5. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't that make the zero turn usless? If you use the y turn.

6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

yes and no....In the spring when the ground is wet there is no way you (well me at least) can do a zero turn. Now that the lawns have dried up some and are a bit more solid, i can do a 0 turn and get away with it. The fact is, i am so used to doing the Y turn that i dont hardly do a 0 turn, unless i go off the turf onto a sidewalk or driveway.

trevor

7. nfisher330

nfisher330 LawnSite Member

Could someone please explain EXACTLY what you mean by a Y turn? I am still a little confused. Thanks guys.

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

It does..until you learn how to do a zero turn w/o tearing the turf. Not too hard to do with a little practice.

9. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

Go in a straight line, then when ready to turn, steer either to the left or right, then stop and reverse back to where you need to be to start mowing another path. It's a 3 point turn. The zero turn will keep you from changing changing gears and you can do a 3 point turn much faster on a zero turn than with a conventional steer mower.

10. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Not at all - actually, a pro can probably do a Y turn every bit as fast as his seasoned counterpart does a Zero turn, assuming the Zero turn cutter is being careful to not rip the sod.

It took me a while to get it down but the Y turn (or 3 point turn as some call it) is a piece of cake and you can do it extremely fast once you get the feel for it.

Practice, practice, practice my young Jedi Knight - use the force, Luke... use the forrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrce. :D