ZTR and hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robbo521, Apr 9, 2007.

1. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i have read alot of you saying how you go up hills or down them or what ever,i think most are out of there mind to start with.i am anyway!i tried some hills today,backing up it going up it but no side to side.how do you keep your mower from going dead?,mine will not pick the gas up and it dies,and before you ask it was full when i tryed it.ever came down a hill with no motor?:dizzy: :dizzy:

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Never had a fuel pickup issue on slopes.
    You should have that checked out.

Oh... and for what it's worth, 'most' ZTR's won't back up much of a slope.

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Thats true of many, but Walker and Grasshopper back up much better than going forward on a steep hill. I think thats true of most ZTR's with the deck out in front and the extra wheels = less forward traction. Just the opposite of my Hustler and Exmark , which will go almost straight up traction wise, more worried about flipping over backwards on them.

4. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Mid mount zero turns typically have between 75 and 80% of the total weight over the rear wheels to allow for easier turning. Front deck zero turn with the dek down only have about 50-60% over the driven wheels. This is why a mid mount can't back up slopes. There is no traction on the driven wheels. This is also why you can lift the deck on the out front and back up larger slopes, it shifts more of the weight over the driven wheels.