1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ztr and taxes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robbo521, Jul 30, 2006.

1. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i have seen some sites that say if you buy from them out of state you dont pay taxes on your new mower,how can this be?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Anything shipped out of state is usually not subject to state sales tax. I have heard of dealers that make you sign a wavier that it will be shipped out. Some state have no sales tax if your a farmer buying eqipment. Now when you home state finds out about it (if and when) they may have other idea's about what you owe. It's risky but people do it all the time and most get away with it. I've had dealers in Tennessee offer me mowers with no sales tax because I was in Kentucky. Not sure about you home states laws so I would check it out to see how legal it is. I have bought photography equipment in Tennessee and they insisted on shipping it UPS so I didn't have to pay tax instead of taking it home right then. I do not know the laws on this, I just know it happens. Internet and phone orders are often exempt for alot of items legally.
  3. rocksrscott

rocksrscott LawnSite Member

In Ohio if you buy something through the mail, on-line, from a magazine, over the phone, etc... from across state lines you do not pay sales tax from the sending state. But and there is always a But. You are supposed to (supposed:confused: ) pay Use tax when you file your state tax. This is for personal as well as Business filers.
    Ohio even had an amnesty period where you could pay any use tax you had not paid in the past without penalty.*trucewhiteflag*

For me any large items I want to purchase for the business I may need service on I will buy local so I can get the service I need. Happy dealers make happy customers. Bring in something from out of town go to the end of the list.:hammerhead:

Just a small time LCO saving a buck.:usflag:
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have no problem buying a computer or somthing from the internet tax free but just me on a large item I wouldn't take a chance. Seems like every state has it's own laws.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Getting between a state and it's revenue is sorta like getting between me and some pecan pie. You don't wanna do that.
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Not with my pecan pie you would'nt. :hammerhead: