1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR and Tow Behind Aerators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lx665, Aug 28, 2001.

1. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I have been looking at the Lesco/Classen tow behind aerator. For those of you that are using a ZTR to tow the unit, how much stress or drag do you feel is being placed on the ZTR? Will they pull the 60" unit? Have you had any problems etc? I'll be using a Exmark 60" with a 23 hp motor.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

check the search library. this has been asked before. if you cant find it, im sure EricElm will be able to help you out. if im correct he tows his lesco aerator with a dixie chopper.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I tow the 48 model Lesco/Classen with my diesel Chopper. It is supposed to be able to tow 1000 lbs safely, but Dixie Choppers come with a hitch on them for towing. I've noticed several brands do not have a hitch so I don't know if they don't want you towing with them or not. I would check with Exmark before towing with one.

I have thought about getting the 60", but when the ground is hard and you have to put on enough weight to make it sink in, it will be a big load for any ZTR. I've had up to 400 lbs on mine plus the 325 lbs the aerator weighs and I've had no problems.
  4. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

Eric, What is the weight of the 60" compared to the 48"?
  5. Eric ELM

I do not have the specs on the 60", but the frames of these aerators are made out of solid bar steel and I think it's 1 1/4" thick, so they are built strong and they are heavy. Just guessing, I would think at least 400 lbs. The model 48 aerates 42" wide and weighs in at 325.
  6. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I think the extra weight of the 60" is to much for a ZTR. Eric, thanks for your help.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

something to consider is how much hydralic fluid is used and is it cooled. ill use mine for towing but i watch the fluid temp closely,
    as it only holds 2 qts.or so
  8. Nick

Nick Banned

The weight of the aerator would not matter, if it is heavier you will not have to add as much weight.
  9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I'm gonna try the 48 with a Lazer/25 kohler...

Is the Lesco version heavier? At the Classen website the 48" weighs 225lbs. ... misprint?

Eric... what kind of productivity results are getting? How long to aerate (single pass) 43,000 sq. ft.?
  10. Eric ELM

Nick, this is true if the ground is soft, but if it is hard, you would have to add more weight to sink a 60" in than you would to sink a 42" in. I have seen the ground so hard here that I needed 400 extra lbs of weight to make mine sink in. It would probably take 500 or 600 extra to make the 60" sink in.