1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR and WB speed comparison.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SoloSulkySurfer, May 17, 2007.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

Ok heres my question / experiment.

You run a 19hp 48" ZTR next to a 14hp WB at full speed in heavy grass.

I know that the WB is slower (5mph) then the ZTR (8mph?). But will both machines cut grass equally as good (quality of cut) at their top speed? Can you cut heavy grass quickly with a ZTR or do you still need to go as slow as with a WB? Just trying to get a better understanding of the advantages of a ZTR.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

No WB I've ever owned was able to cut anywhere near as good as my ZTR's at speeds above a slow walk.

Maybe the newer WB's which have similar decks like their big brothers will cut similar, but as a rule, WB's usually don't have the proper HP to inch ratio necessary for higher speed cutting.
  3. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

Most newer 48 WB have more HP than the older ones, so I don't think in heavy grass a 14hp WB will cutt as fast as a 19hp ZTR. My 36" WB has 15 HP and it does cut the same speed as my 19HP 44" ZTR in heavy grass, but then it is a wider cut. The ZTR can cut more grass than a WB and not tire out the operator as much, but on some nice yards, some people don't want all the weight of a ZTR on their grass.