ZTR choices?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by vertigo01, Jun 29, 2013.

1. vertigo01

vertigo01 LawnSite Member

Newbie here from the South Mississippi area looking for honest opinions and input.
    Being a newbie to the whole ZTR buying experience has left me rather dumbfounded by the available models and prices.
    After our big box store JD ZTR decided to drop a cylinder, I have finally decided it time to bite the bullet and make a step up to something that is made to last.
    I mow 8 acres some quite bumpy, some hilly and some smooth,yes quite a varied yard. :confused:
    The wife and I started our day with the intention's of finding a decent ZTR, we ended our day almost as confused as we were when we started.:dizzy:
    However we did narrow our choices down to 3 ZTR's so far.
    They are listed in no certain preference order, that's where you fine gays and gals come in, by giving me your honest opinion's.

1.Gravely pro-Turn 260, 60"
    Kawasaki FX751V

2 Scag Tiger Cat 60"
    Kawasaki 730FS

3. Bad Boy Outlaw Extreme
    Kawasaki 852cc or the Vanguard 36hp?

I would like to know the pro's and con's of each, regarding cut quality, comfort when the going gets rough, and the benefit's of a 60" deck over the 51 or 54" deck other than the obvious size difference.

I am not a commercial guy but I would like to pick up a few neighborhood account's.
    The neighborhood ( hood ) consists of lot sizes between 1 and 7 acres and few gates.

Thank's in advance for your help in trying to un-confuse me/us.
  2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

This should help you decide.

Im not a BB fan so I would take that off the list. The Gravely 260 is a faster bigger machine. The Tiger Cat is on the same level as a Gravely 160. Both have great cutting decks, in fact my two favorites.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. vertigo01

I read conco1's review of the Gravely XDZ 252 and found it informative however the only dislike's he had for it were that the handles were not adjustable and the seat did not allow enough leg room for him.

What about the BB did you not like?
  4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

The 3 you pick all ride the same ((( badly))) and powered by same bad motor

So now down to the price and how big is your pockets are

I own same brand since 1985 due to the cut and mostly the comfort of the ride

You have to pick the mower you like not what LS members like
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  5. GMLC

Those were Tiger Cat dislikes. He compared the two better than I have ever seen on LS.

As for BB, I dont want to start a brand war. They will never see a dime of my money. Horrible customer service and a rep actually insulted a LS member who was having problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. vertigo01

GMLC I meant to specify the dislikes were for the Scag, however this forum format wont let 1 edit their posting, which I figured out after I didn't specify which mower cinco1 had the seating difficulties with.
    I don't mean to start a brand war either, I just want to be as informed as I can before laying down a substantial chunk of change is all.
  7. vertigo01

Well that was informative.:hammerhead:
    I realise that the purchase ultimately end's with me, however the reason I came here was to get opinion's from those who know said mowers better than I do and to get their opinion's.

Thanks for yours.Thumbs Up
  8. GMLC

Theres a lot of guys here that like BB so I was trying not to insult them. Im pretty sure you will like the suspension seat that comes standard on the 260. Your best bet is to demo each. I know Gravely will accommodate.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere 900 series. You will not be disappointed. Best mower ever.
  10. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Have you owned every mower ?