1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

ZTR claims the life of another LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My neighbor came over today with bad news.

A guy he knows just got killed on his ZTR.

He didn't have all the details yet, but the guy was mowing a site he'd been cutting for over 6 years with the same kind of ZTR, and didn't live to finish this time. Apparently the ZTR lost traction on a slope and went out of control.

At this point, I don't know if it was a crash death or a rollover death.
    But it just goes to show how untrustworthy these things are.
    Even if you have done something safely a couple of hundred times doesn't mean you will next time.

My guess is that the drought conditions were the variable... hard ground, dry slick grass.

2. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

How tragic. Just another example of how fragile life really is. My prayers go out for the mans family.

I have some slopes I mow that can be classified as very challenging. I don't use a ZTR on the slopes, but a JD Garden Tractor with 4 WD, and weights. On some sections I use the WB.

Let's be careful guys / girls

3. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

:( :( Thats crazy, i know there was 1 here in florida a couple weeks ago. He slid a deere ZTR into a lake, it rolled on top of him, and pinned him under for like 5 mins. He died at the hospital a couple of days later. This is why i like the walk behinds better, at least if they get away from you they dont kill you :(

4. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

A Illinois State Rep form Pekin Ill was mowing around his pond with his ZTR and flipped into the pond pining him in 3 foot of water. Maybe I should say the late State Rep from Pekin.

Safety should be a full time concern for all LCO but we all take it for granted that accidents wont happen to me..

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a property with a large, steep hill. The part that I can actually mow I pretty much have to climb at a slight angle. I feel very safe except in one respect.

The SuperZ definitely moans when climbing that hill. If the short "drive" belt (the one turning the pumps) was to break under the pressure, would I roll down this long hill uncontrollably or would the pumps grind to a halt? :confused:

6. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

you would roll unless you grabbed the parking brake

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

BUT if you grab the brake you will be sliding all the way down.
    ztr's have their place and that is not on hills:nono: :nono: :nono: .....Thats why they make walkbehind mowers

8. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

The drive belt broke with my wife mowing a pretty step hill last year. She rolled uncontrollably down the hill into a brush thicket. She said she thought it was going to roll over, that the mower went around in circles while going down the hill. Luckly she was ok, but it scared her from mowing steep hills. I still do though. Steeper than what she was on.

9. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

It's why 4wd frontmount mower still have their place..

10. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

A death in the line of work is sad and it shouldn’t happen. There are things folks can do to protect one’s self. It drives me nuts to see people cutting without the roll over protection equipment system (ROPES) in the full up position and without the seatbelt securely on. There are a lot of folks that use the same philosophy while driving their truck or car. You will also hear them tell you they want to be able to jump clear and the seatbelt will keep them from doing that. The fact of the matter you are more likely to be crushed by the equipment trying to jump, then if you have the seat belt on and stay in the seat. I have heard many folks say that the ROPES get in the way of low laying tree branches. Maybe the trees need to be trimmed or use the WB.

Bottom line, you need to make use of all the safety equipment. It works, but you have to use it. It can be a real pain at times to take that extra five minutes to use it, but at least you will have a chance to do it again, unlike some that decided to save a few minutes only to loose their life.

I am truly sorry to here of another death and how it affects the family of the one lost. There really isn’t any excuse why this happen. It could have been avoided.

JMHO - Eric D