ZTR Cub Tanks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, May 3, 2004.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Anybody here use them? Are they any good? How do they mow and how well will they hold a hill? They look like really nice machines and I might look into them this summer if I hear from some people that likes them.

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We just picked up a 60" 27hp. Ill let you know how it holds up to our Z-Masters. It already out performs it on hills.

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I've got 4 of them, they cut great, have had not one problem with the ztr's, the 36 w/b is a fixer up. I just got a M-60 w/kohlor, and am really impressed with the motor. Talking about slopes, the 72" I have really hugs them, I will try and get a pic of it on some slopes.:)

wall of cubs 007.jpg

4. ProStreetCamaro

Thank you very much Wriken. I watched 2 guys use them up in Lancaster pa over the weekend and they produced an excellent cut and looked very well built.

5. wriken

here's a stripe of the 60"

another m-60 stripe.jpg

6. ProStreetCamaro

Man they do look very nice! I might have to look into one this summer. We currently have a 48" Lazer Z hp with over 1,400 hours. We havent had a single problem out of the lazer but we kind of like to try new things.

7. DB Lawns

DB Lawns LawnSite Member

I have a MTDpro 60" wb with a 22h Kohlor which I am told is the same thing and I can't complain. It does a nice job on stripes even down here.

8. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

wriken,

I notice that you are one of the foremost proponents of the CC Tank on this site. I have a couple questions for you. Have you used other commercial ZTR's, and if so, which makes? Also, do you believe the Tank's floating or pivoting front axle makes the ride smoother on rough ground? How about servicing convenience? Any part of the mower that is difficult to get to? Just for information, I am only interested in a 72", and I am comparing the Tank(33 hp Generac) and the Dixie Chopper(32 hp Generac). Dealer support is important to me. The DC dealer, a 1 man operation, is only about 7 miles from my house. The Cub Commercial dealer, a factory prefered sales and service dealer, is about 22 miles, in the middle of a city. This means a 10 minute drive vs. a 40 minute drive. (what does "factory prefered" mean?) I'm sure each machine has its strong points and weak points. Did I read that the Tank uses aluminum spindles? It's a tough choice between the 2 mowers. Any more thoughts or details of your experience with the CC Tanks would be appreciated. Whoa, I guess I was wrong about it being a "couple" questions. :)

Thanks,
    Neal

9. wriken

10. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

wriken,

Thanks for the reply. On the Cub Commercial website dealer locater, there are "dealers' and there are "factory prefered" dealers. I am going to assume that it is comparable to a Chrysler dealer being a "5 star" dealer, or a Ford dealer being a "Blue Oval" dealer. Probably relates to the faciltity and/or service standards. I'll check it out the next time I get to the CC dealer. Both the DC and CC dealers discount off the MSRP. There may not be much difference in price between the 2 brands.
    I am curious why you keep the floating axle locked all the time. Don't like it floating?