1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ztr cuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jul 9, 2005.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a guy using a nice dixon ztr with a 40" deck and it was cutting moderate st. aug and was doing a bad job. I go back later and saw that it missed spots and didn't do too well. I saw the same guys cutting annother house and the back yard looked bad after they cut moderate st. aug. Is it my imagination or do these big mowers cut bad. My snapper 21" could have done it better. I used to cut with a guy who used a gravely zt 1640 and it cut kind of good but still looked like my snapper push mower could cut it better. What's true about this?
  2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Well that would depend on whether or not the blades were sharp. So, I guess before we through the baby out with the bathwater, maybe we should try and find out why.
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

let's put it this way, if big mowers didn't cut good, nobody would be using them, and we'd all be out of business.

btw, dixon is not on the fore front of the commercial mower seen, so don't judge all riders by that. I recomend you DEMO some machines, if they will let you.
  4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Does a dixon cut bad? Most likely

Do "big mowers" cut bad? You tell me.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Yes, in some conditions big mowers will cut worse than smaller ones. I'm not talking about the quality of the cut but more the eveness of the cut. The ground we have around here is very uneven so the cut wouln't be as good with a big as it would with a smaller one but in most cases they do an excellent job.
  6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Nice cut.. Is that using 72" exmark? We have been debating getting a second exmark lately (possibly a 60 or 72) but have been hesitant b/c of the sheer size of the 72". We currently run a 48" HP that gets into small spaces great, but we also have a John Deere 72" front mount that is amazing and will cut like a bush hog and is an amazing finishing mower.

Do you find the 72" is overkill for a ZTR? Thanks
  7. ALarsh

from Midwest

Bullet - It is a 60". In my cutting area, the 60" is the most efficient for some of the big lots like the one pictured above. So I am very happy with the size of deck that I got.

It isn't an exmark, better yet it is a Toro with the turboforce deck. I love it. I suggest you demo the new toros.
  8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Toro owns exmark so it seems they would be better. What's the difference between the two?
  9. ALarsh

from Midwest

Because one company owns another doesn't mean they make all of the machines the same.

Do some searching and you will find all the differences.