ZTR Deck Depth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeg2246, Apr 23, 2005.

1. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

What is the importance of deck depth. I have been researching ZTR's, but, have yet to make a purchase. I have been reading alot trying to come to an intelligent decision. The Spring Savings Program (1300 rebate on the Super Mini Z) from Hustler got me interested in researching thier products. My local dealer only has 2 in stock. One is a Super Mini Z with a 25HP Kawi and a 52 inch deck. This size mower would be perfect for me only wanting to have one mower on my trailer. After reading about the Super Mini Z I saw it only had a deck depth of 4 inches compared to most of the ones I have been considering at 5 inches.

My question- Is this something I should be concerned with?

Scag Tiger Cub 23HP Kawi, 52 inch deck $7800
    Hustler Super Mini Z 25HP Kawi 52 inch deck $8649 - $1300 - dealer discount.

2. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

Decks like the mower is built a certain way for a purpose or some compromise. Think of it as a cooking pot. LOL! ;)

You wanna boil crawfish?? You need a deeper pot! LOL! payup

Do you wanna mulch real good? You might wanna go deeper…BUT! (darn those buts! LOL!) Wet grass might give you pot full! LOL! :angry:

Don’t want to hold anything? If a quick discharge gets you off…what could be better than shallow. :gunsfirin

Don’t know if that’s right but it sure sound good! LOL! :cool2:

Just my thoughts

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::

3. flesh

flesh LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I used to have one, the deck is too shallow. It clumps very easily. The chute opening is too small. You can't run double blades. Go with the hustler super z it's like night and day. I still have my super z 25 hp kaw.

4. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... Since I have had my Kubota ZTR Pro60 with a 5.5” fabricated deck I have no clumping just good striping :cool:.
    .... Good luck on your choice :).

[/FONT]