1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR Drive Help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by iceberger, Apr 28, 2005.

1. iceberger

iceberger LawnSite Member

I bought a Husqvarna ZTR demo (48" 21HP KAW) with 63 hours on it. Since it was never registered, I still have the full 2 year warranty. I have 2 problems that maybe someone can give me help with: 1. When starting from a dead stop, and trying to go slow, the mower jumps (like when you were first learing to drive a standard transmission). It may be me, but when I use my friends Great Dane, I don't get this. 2. When I push both handles forward to the stops, the mower drifts to the right. This tells me the left wheel is going faster than the right. What I have to do is push the right handle to the stop, and vary the position of the left one.
    The mower is under warranty, but I don't want to load it up and carry it in if the fix is a simple adjustment. It's not a big problem, just an irritant. I am a homeowner, and use the mower about once a week on 2 acres. Any help or advise would be appreciated.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Adjusting the tracking on a ZTR machine could be more than a home owner would want to get into. But here are two things you can check,Before I suggest taking it back to the dealer.
    Any time you have a tracking problem check the air pressure it the back tires,they must be about the same.
    Next check the hydro. belt,Make sure it's tight a slipping belt could cause both your problems.
    If both these are fine I would take it back to the dealer and tell them you want it working right.
    I NEVER let a new or used unit out of my sight unless it works as intended !

A Dealer
    Dixie Chopper
    Cub Cadet
    White Outdoor
    And Many Others
  3. sda1416

sda1416 LawnSite Member

most ztr's have a adjustable stop where you push the arms forward. Look to see if yours has this and adjust as needed.