1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ztr Driving Tips?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BASIC, May 29, 2003.

1. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Hi guys.My wife and I just started a lawn care service.We bought a SCAG Tiger Cub ZTR with a 48" deck.This is my first experience operating a ZTR and I can use some help please.How do you turn without leaving a rut in the ground?What is the proper way to trim around an object i.e.tree,rock,etc?I did a search and didn't come up with anything,maybe I was looking under the wrong topic.Do you have any other suggestions on how to become a better ZTR operator?Thankyou for any help you may give,BASIC.
  2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search by user name for MACLAWNCO. Several month ago he posted a picture for me demostrating a 3-point turn when I had the same question on turning a ZTR
  3. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

4. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Thankyou all,it did help,BASIC.
  5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Also, as a solo guy, using of both WB's and riders, the word is "slow and accurate". Dont' rush the turns and be accurate when turning. Let the machine come to stop before trying to "K" or "Z" turn the rider. REMEMBER... you've got 1,000 pounds of machinery your turning around. You can't just "change" direction with 1,000 pounds trying to continue moving. And, "look" for every spot that is "paved, sidewalk, flagstone or concrete" to turn on, so you don't wreck the grass.....
  6. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

In addition to what Pete (Switchless) said, be extra careful when the lawn is wet. The turf is less forgiving and will tear very easily.

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

All the tips are great but, I think experience will help you more than anything. Be smooth on the controls and never completely stop a drive wheel in a turn. Practice makes perfect.

A five gal bucket is a great practice obstacle.

good luck..
  8. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

Does anybody mow in a circle? I have a lot of large areas -College campus- and every once in a while I will start in the center of a squarish area and blow it in, unless I am doing the soccer field then I blow it out. Rectangular areas require some guess work as to where to initially turn around in an oval so you finish evenly. Once I figure out where my start points are I really cut some grass and best of all no corners! Until the end of course then I do the corners of the areas but they are pretty small. This seems to save some time, but only being 90 hours into a Zero turn, Toro Z-master 72", it is incredibly productive either way. my 2c.