ZTR Durability/maintenance Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, May 3, 2005.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

My Gravely 34Z has around 40 hours on it so far and I am happy with it. I have found that the mower really takes a beating going over rough lawns and squeezing through tiny gates and spaces. How durable are these things? For instance the other day I was mowing an unfamiliar lawn and I did not see the rut and both of my front wheels went down into it and almost made me completly stop. I was worried that I may have bent the front castors. I have also hit the deck on some things even though I try to be careful. Do I have anything to worry about? How easy do spindles, decks/deck arms, and frames bend? what things should I be careful of and try to avoid? Also, any maintenance tips will help me out too. The book say to grease/lubricate pivot points every 50 hours, but there are very few grease zerks.
  2. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at that same ZTR last month. I need a small one for some gated homes with big back yards and I don't want to get a W/B. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking.
  3. Husky03

They are $4000 new at my dealer and I got mine for $3500 because it was the model and it had a couple of hours on it. It also had been stored outside so it had some surface rust on the hardware and muffler. I would go w/ the 34Z rather than a walkbehind for the price. A Hydro walk is going to cost you around $3500 and you don't get to ride. :)
  4. The Lawn Ranger

The Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I am not that familiar with a gravely but my hustlers are tuff as nails i havent found anything to stop them yet and i put bout 1200 hours on each of of them each year and i change the oil every 50 hours hydro every 150 air filters are blown out once a week and changed once a month *dont over grease the spindles!*
  5. Husky03

Gravely has the no grease spindles for 1000 hours. They have no zerks. What happens if you use to much grease?

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

What you are describing is really normal wear and tear on machines. They are built for the worst working environment...grass/dirt/dust.

I've looked the 34z over. Its a very well built heavy machine. It will take a good beating and keep on ticking. No matter how careful you are, you will occasionally hit an unexpected hole, tree root, unseen toy, etc. That machine will give you many years of heavy duty service.