ZTR features

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by barrybud, Mar 24, 2007.

1. barrybud

barrybud LawnSite Member
    from PA 5

Hi All,

I am on the hunt for a new piece of equipment. I get conflicting advice/comments from different dealers that will naturally bad mouth competing brands.
    I will not include Brand names because I am hoping for honest input on different features and don’t want "machine color" bias. I will say that these are from ZTR’s.

The first is drive method. Are dual wheel pumps and motors better than a 1 piece unit for both? If so why? One might think "fewer parts less potential failure"?

Next, Belt drive or shaft drive for the deck and/or the drive.

PTO electromagnetic or hydraulic?

Full suspension or high quality seat suspension?

Hydro deck lift and cutting height adjustments or manual?

The concern for these are long term service even if they cost a bit more. Thanks for your comments.

2. BROBY

BROBY LawnSite Member

You have some very specific questions. On the other hand you are vague about what or how much you want to do with this "ZTR". Are you an aspiring LCO or do you want to mow your yard/lawn? Either way how much will you cut? Do you have a budget dollar amount in mind? Here are my opinions:

YQ: Are dual wheel pumps and motors better than a 1 piece unit for both?
    MO: Yes.
    YQ: If so why?
    MO: Dedicated pumps and motors for each drive wheel increase traction, longevity and weight capacity.
    YQ: One might think "fewer parts less potential failure"?
    MO: More higher grade parts operating within their tested capacity will most likely not fail before less lower grade parts operating under conditions beyong their capacities.
    YQ: Next, Belt drive or shaft drive for the deck and/or the drive.
    MO: Belt driven ZTR deck is the standard. Shaft driven ZTR deck is not common.
    YQ: PTO electromagnetic or hydraulic?
    MO: Depends on the level of equipment and what it is designed and built to do.
    YQ: Full suspension or high quality seat suspension?
    MO: Both.
    YQ: Hydro deck lift and cutting height adjustments or manual?
    MO: Depends on the level of equipment and what it is designed and built to do.

YQ: The concern for these are long term service even if they cost a bit more.
    MO: I believe some features you mentioned will cost more than a "bit" more.

Best regards.

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you'd be OK with most COMMERCIAL mowers (not what you find at Home Depot).

I'd look at what brands are available locally. Also, look at some of the online parts suppliers and see if replacement parts are available from multiple sources.

For example, I can buy a LOT of replacement parts for my Orange mower online; belts, blades, filters, wheels, spindles, hydraulic pumps & wheel motors, etc. This doesn't mean I won't support my local dealer, but his prices are higher and most of the time he doesn't have what I need in stock anyway.

I've heard (don't know from personal experience) that Orange had trouble with some of their gearboxes in their shaft-drive mowers. I have belt drive. Very easy to service, and I can buy a belt, pulley, & bearings just about anywhere.

For me, a grass catcher was very important. A factory grass catcher was not available on some models.

I also looked at what seemed to be the most well built, was easiest to service, and had the most standard, readily available parts.

4. barrybud

barrybud LawnSite Member
    from PA 5

I should have added this to the original post.

This is for my residential use cutting about 2.25 acres. Maybe pull some simple ground implements (spreader/coring aerator) or I might just keep my old Broadmoor for that and pulling a cart around. Budget, under 7K.

Thanks

5. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Most of your questions have pros and cons, and all depend on how well they are implemented. That said, the duty cycle of integrated pump-motors is not very high, and neither is their torque handling. None of the good stuff use them.

I noticed you didn't mention paint. One brand, I think it was red, seems to be notorious for paint peeling problems at any price point.

Nor did you mention maintenance. Personally I own green, but I'd look @ a country clipper now that I've had to hassle w/cleaning the deck and sharpening blades. If I only had a real dealer for them around...

I do believe the kubota shaft drive w/ its gradual PTO engagement is a winner and wish I had it. I run doubles and kicking the deck on is one heck of a slam on the PTO.

You really got that many good local dealers w/stocking parts? Most of us don't and end up w/a narrower selection.... Granted in all the years I've been a green owner I've needed to goto the shop but twice, but it was damn nice to have one (ok, more like 5) within reasonable range, with parts, and etc..

6. barrybud

barrybud LawnSite Member
    from PA 5

I was comparing the Kubota ZG20 Which has the Single piece hydro, shaft drive and deck power, Hydro lift and cut height and a wet clutch. It also has a built in crank lift on the front of the unit for blade access.

The other unit is the Ferris IS1500 that has the 2 pumps and wheel motors and belts, and full suspension. Both have a ground speed within 1 MPH of each other, Wheel size is the same, weigh the same,both have folding ROPS and same warranty. After all money deals the cost difference is $1, yup one dollar.

Does this change anything?