1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR for 5 acres?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by CWG, Mar 24, 2005.

1. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

I'm going nuts trying to figure out which one. Cub Cadet Z-Force 44 is at the top of the list. Pretty much flat except for the hills :D the ruts and the leftovers from small tree removal. Then about half a mile of trails around the place, those are wide, flat and have been mowed for about three years (safe)
    I'm just having a hard time justifying spending 6K for a mower. The Z is about 3500 before taxes- that and MTD is offering a deal on 36 months financing.
    I looked at a 60" Swisher zero turn, looks neet, but had some cheaper looking features, i.e. bolts no welds.
    Dont want to go used for whatever reason, mostly most of the companies are offerning good finance deals.
    I had bought a husky (MTD) 54" 26 horse 'tractor' two years ago-pffft, cheap frame bent, deck got mangled.
    Got a Ferris SD 48" walk behind, excellent, excellent machine- but a walk behind...

ferris for sale
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you had a ferris walk behind I doubt you'll be happy with the cub.
    The cub is not in the same league as a true commercial mower.
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

How many times have you used Cub Tanks?????? They are just as good as any on the market. We have 3 Tanks and 1 MTD Pro W/B. They have all been great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

He's not talking about a tank I don't believe..............
  5. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

The 44" Z force is a homeowner model.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

That is very true............ My point is that people just think Cubs in general are junk. If you only could find out how many MTD parts are in all of them. JMO. :)
  7. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

No, I don't think cubs in general are junk, just the homeowner stuff.
    The cub tanks are not all that bad,My point was with him owning a commercial walk behind and going to a homeowner type ZTR. No comparison in my mind.

By the way, I know a couple of things about the 44" Z force................DON'T ask me how................... :rolleyes:
  8. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

you're not getting off that easy LOL

My friend is the plant manager at MTD in Solon- they build the Cub Cadet Z-Force 44 and some other rider there as well.
    I was impressed with what he told me about their developement of the Z line. Even he said the lower end stamped versions are for folly. They offer the Z line with a fab deck, but those are few and far between. Overall he said they are overengineered. Not quite commercial but tougher than other brands. That and he pointed out the differences between the tanks and the Z line.

By the way, you know how the Gov makes them test lawnmower decks??
    They cut a hole in the top of the deck, and pour (I may have not remembered the amount correctly) about 5 pounds of ball bearings in while the thing is running WOT. Inside a test room with a pattern all the way around. No bearings are allowed to hit higher than "x" inches above some mark. I saw a pic of a 21" walkbehind that had this done to it WOW odd to say the least.

Heres a clip of his email I got

9. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

here's my opinion on this...

1) get a fabricated/welded heavier-duty deck...

(i have a friend who bought a Z with a stamped and has already bent the deck - just residential mowing on his own .6 acre lot... new yard so has some obstacles)

2) try to buy overall heavier duty... but you don't have to spend $6K either.

There's Hustler @ about $4K with the Mini-Z ... and I bought a Dixon RAM @ $4K -- 44" fab deck .. very heavy duty like.

Now, if you are really into some heavy terrain - I saw at the dealer some Ferris' that jump in the commercial line and they had full suspensions. Which - after running around my new yard ... it would have been nice!!

But, you jump into the $5K range from what I recall...

10. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

With all due respect there is no comparison between the z force and the tanks.
    The fact that he himself said," You can get 500 hours on a Zforce" pretty much says it...............A tank should get thousands of hours not hundreds.