ZTR for 5 Acres?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Timely, Aug 9, 2013.

1. farmershawn

farmershawn LawnSite Member

Agreed, this is exactly what I found here in Shreveport.

2 X 2 frame rails, heavy iron spindles, ICD deck, ZT5400 beefy transmissions.

If I had purchased new, that was what I was going to buy.
  2. mts25

mts25 LawnSite Member

I have a Kubota Kommander S and although it is a very nice mower for residential use I would probably mark it off your list if you have a very bumpy property. The low profile tires make it a pretty rough ride even with the suspension seat. I am probably going to swap out the rear wheels/tires for something a bit fatter in the near future on mine.

Nationally they seem to be running some really good deals on the Ferris IS2000Z 61" mowers right now and it's the entry level Ferris with the full suspension. It's a little more than the Ferris mowers you listed, but with a rough lot it would be worth taking a look at. For a little more cash the Ferris IS3100Z is even better and that money also gets you into Scag Cheetah territory which has a suspension platform so it rides almost as nice as the Ferris mowers and it is faster.

Good luck.
  3. Timely

Timely LawnSite Member

Farmershawn, about those pasture weeds..... My husband and I go round and round about using the ZTR out in the pasture. (He says no and I say yes!) Granted, we had a Toro Timecutter, which is hardly a field tractor, but still. Are you concerned about tearing up the ZTR doing that? I guess the main issue would be rough ground, more hours, and maybe lots of heat from trying to chomp through that stuff? What about if you hit a tree branch or something like that in those high weeds?

Just wondering if you can give me any talking points to use! :)
  4. mountainjogger

mountainjogger LawnSite Member

I have struggled with which ztr to purchase since August 1, when my neighbor who owns a mowing service told me he could no longer handle our home/farm mowing. He also told me that if I was going to mow it myself I better get a commercial grade ztr with a heavy frame, commercial engine and separate pumps and motors.

Demo'd a 2012 Big Dog x-1052 for about 11 hours. It handled like a dream and cut well but the seat and suspension were a little rough on the big fields.

Also demo'd a Bobcat Procat and the ride was a lot more comfortable.

Finally decided on a 2013 Bobcat Pro 52" with the FX801 engine. $8699 plus tax. 5 year 500 hour home owner warranty on the ztr and 3 years on the engine and lifetime on the deck/frame.

It is hard to be accurate as to how much I mow since the tracts are interspersed with woods, but I just walked it again and I think it is about 3-4 acres of lawn and 12 acres of fields and meadows. Hope to plant some of this next year in crops and cut it down to a total of about 7-8 acres a week.

This is a large purchase for me, so wish me luck. I am buying from a dealer who has given me excellent service on my other equipment for many years.
  5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

The Silver Eagle Models are the cheaper line of DC You looking for nice ride you want try a Classic model
  6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

have a spending budget? The kubota z100 is a nice mower, it rides rough as heck though.
  7. marklift

marklift LawnSite Member

I have been mowing my 5 acres with an Exmark Lazer Z for the past 8 years. I am tired of getting beat to death on rough ground. I just put my money down on a new Gravely 460 with the air ride seat and isolated platform to solve this problem. See video: http://youtu.be/x6Wx8rFkME8
  8. CuttingEdgeLandscapes

CuttingEdgeLandscapes LawnSite Member

Look at a bobcat 61" with a 37hp dfi
    Engine. You can bushog grass about 40 inches tall and it will not bogdown or lose blade tip speed and you can buy them brand new for about $9300
  9. round about

round about LawnSite Member

Personally the Ferris IS3100Z would be my choice but at this time I use my John Deere 455 with a 60 inch mower on that size lot.
  10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice choice. I have a 452 and its the most comfortable ZTR I have ever used. You wont be disappointed.