1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR for 8 acres

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by reddof, Feb 4, 2008.

1. reddof

reddof LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new mower for some property I just bought. I have been searching this forum for a bit and have found some real good advice, but nothing that quite matches my situation.

My land is just over 8.5 acres. About 3.5 acres are "lawn" and the remaining is pasture. There are a large number of trees on the lawn, very few in the pasture. All 8.5 acres are relatively flat. The mower must keep the lawn well manicured and deal with the pasture every month or two. We plan on living here for 10+ years and if we moved it would probably be to someplace with just as much land or more.

I've looked around at some used equipment, searched nearly every manufacturers website. I'm looking at several commercial mowers because I don't want a POS that is going to break with less than a year of service (been through that with a small lawn tractor mowing a single acre). I also don't want to spend 12 hours every Saturday mowing. But on the other hand, I don't want to go overkill either.

Now, in the ZTR market is there something in the residential line that will handle my needs or do I need to stick with commercial? All the brands have their strengths and weaknesses, but are there any I should absolutely stay away from? I'm worried about the dependability of something I buy from Lowe's/Home Depot. I've got dealers for most of the major brands around here although I know nothing about their service/reputation so my decision isn't affected very much by that. Price of all the offerings seem close enough that I'd rather get a quality machine than worry about a couple hundred dollars this way or that.

Would I be better off with a brushhog for the pasture and a smaller ZTR for the lawn? I think the number of trees prevent me from using a finish cut deck with a tractor for the lawn.

Sorry for the long post, I was hoping to get as much information to get the best help. Am I just trying to justify the commercial mower when a residential one is fine? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

3. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

There are a lot of machines to look at! In this area Country Clipper is strong and getting stronger! I like the high end commercial unit in there line but for no more than what you are mowing I would look at the Jazze Pro model and go with the 60". You might also look at Dixie Chopper! Just the two that I see the most around here! Also Encore and Hustler would be another pair!
  4. reddof

reddof LawnSite Member

Thanks for the answers.
    It seems that both replies are suggesting a commercial line. Is that pretty much what it's going to take?
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

You asked about a reliable product that you could depend on.
  6. reddof

reddof LawnSite Member

No, that's definitely what I want. Just making sure you can't get it in a residential model. I was already leaning that way, but trying to convince myself that I'm not going to be buying more than I need.

Thanks again.
  7. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

buy a comm mower u wont go wrong it will last for years and ull never be under powerd and u keep the blades sharp ull be able to control how fast the ball will roll on ur lawn. not that ud care but id rather have more then less and have to spend that money later.
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, for what you've described a commercial machine is what you want, a residential machine will not hold up to the job !! Now having said that, you should be able to find a good used commercial machine for less than you pay for a new one ... and it would likely last as long as you need it. If you got the used machine route, I would recommend a unit with not more than 500 - 700 hours on it. I personally think a Dixon Grizzly 60" machine is what you need, but that's my personal opinion.
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yes for 8.5 acres I would go commercial, and prob something in a 60 inch deck. I think most any brand would be ok, I use Scag, Toro and John Deere and I am satisfied with all 3

10. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

exmark all the way .. best mower on the market hands down