1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR for average size lawns: worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RI-Wayne, Apr 8, 2003.

1. RI-Wayne

RI-Wayne LawnSite Member
    from RI

I keep going back and forth on this. My lawns average 10 -15 M square ft. I now use a Bunton 18hp 52" hydro w/b, with Proslide sulky. For my size lawns, would I really gain any time with a 52" ZTR ? How so?
  2. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

Ask your dealer if you can demo one on your lawns.
  3. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

10 - 15 M sq ft??? I do not consider 225 ~ 300 acres average. Did you mean a K for thousands???(1/4 - 1/3 acre)

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

"M" is the Roman numeral symbol for 1000. I don't have a problem using my 52" ZTR for properties of this size, some even smaller for that fact. Then again, Walker's are more compact than most ZTR's.

5. walterslawn&landscap

walterslawn&landscap LawnSite Member

if you have a lot of small lawns like me i went with a 42" ztr it saves a lot of time. but now that i have got some larger lawns i wish i had a 60" too. Ha Ha if i had the money...
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That is just about the size I have. My 52" HP is perfect for them. I can handle very small all the way to 2-3 acre properties with no problems. HP is made for tighter areas. I went from w/b's to the HP. It made some difference in time on most lawns. Some lawns it made a HUGE difference. But at the end of the day you are not as tired.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most of my lawns are in that size range. I went from a 50" Gravely to a 60" Dixie and there is no comparision. I average 2 more lawns a day in the same time and I work alone.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

A friend let me try his 52" Toro Z master on my place and it was a lot faster than my Scag hydro w/b and sulky (also 52") but I had to be real careful on turns (wet grass) where on my Scag it just about flies through turns. I'm sure that is just a new operator thing and I'd get faster if I had a Z but I like the versatility and visibility and affordability of a w/b and sulky. On a few of my properties you wouldn't be able to go any faster than it goes anyway due to size/layout/obstacles. So I think it would depend on the above factors. If I had a 60" Z i'd be using it half the time so yes a 52" Z would be faster, on average, than what i have but I'm happy with what i have.:)
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would also agree that you would benefit from a ZTR for those size lawns. The key thing to bear in mind is to demo what you are interested on the lawns you maintain. This way you will find what works for you.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes. Get one. A ZTR is actually easier to maneuver on a small lawn than a hydro walk behind with the same size deck.