1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ztr for mowing rough cut fields

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by imalandscper, Feb 18, 2003.

1. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

Anyone ever use a ztr for cutting fields that would normaly take a brush hog? I am talking just tall grass and weeds to saplings no rocks

2. imalandscper

Noone has?
  3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have they do a good job.
  4. imalandscper

Just wondering if i should use one for cutting 20 acres!
  5. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

yeah they do a great job. i used a bunton 60in cut. just ride around the perimiter and double check for little suprises.chuck holes aren't any fun at full speed.depending on the width of the scrub set you deck way up a come down accordingly....good luck
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

For 20 acres I would most definately look into renting a tractor and brushhog mower for it. No way would I even consider doing more than a couple acres with a commercial mower! Rough rough ride, hard on the mower and they aren't made to quickly discharge clippings so that robs your horsepower, just a good way to break things and get worn out fast. Definately rent a bushhog rig for this much. There are probably wet spots or real rough spots where your mower would get stuck anyway. Probably hidden limbs, etc. where it would kill your mower. Man for the price you'd get for doing that it would partly pay for an old Ford 8N or 9N tractor and 5' bush hog mower. Probably could pick one of them up for a couple few thou around here.
  7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't use a ztr for brush hogging 20 acres. I have used my JD 757 to mow 1acre lots with very tall grass and weeds, but I think 20 acres would be a bit much. I feel like I've been beaten to death after mowing those 1 acre lots since they are so rough.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Last summer I used My diesel Grasshoppers and Dixie Chopper to mow a 5 acre field that had in the past been Brush Hogged. It was grown up about 12" tall. Turned out to be quite a chore. Had to go real slow and then had to mow most of it 3 times to get it looking pretty good. It took two more mowings over the next two weeks to get it looking like a lawn. We averaged 1.0 acres/hr/machine. Had two 60" and one 72" ZTR on it.
    I would go with a brush hog or a big heavy duty finish mower that you pull with a tractor.:)
  10. goose

goose LawnSite Member

We use a Toro 52" Z to cut all of our rough cuts . One example is a 10 acre field . It takes about 8 man hours. Thats cutting it every 2 weeks.