1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR front ends, Rigid or pivoting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ddg, Jun 7, 2000.

1. ddg

ddg LawnSite Member

Looking at Scag Turf tiger, Encore Prowler & a few others. Some have rigid frames, others have Pivoting front axles. Any real advantages to one design over the other? My mowing is large residential, some is a lawn, the rest is "yard". About 3 1/2 acres or so. I have some irregular surfaces & a ditch. I can see a little good with both designs, but nobody can give me a good answer, so posting here.....DDG
  2. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

hey there-<br>had same concerns when I bought my Bobcat (textron) ZTR this spring; I'd searched & tested about all the ZTR's in my area so I knew what all was out there.<br>Your answer has some bearing determined by what your &quot;route&quot; consists of.<br>Definitely STAY AWAY from encore; they are worse than MTD. They will not hold up long enough for you to get your $$'s worth out of them before they fall apart. <br>Pivoting axles will help a bit with ride comfort, but they lack ability to hold across a hilldise like straight axles do. I guess it depends on which is more important to you-hill ability or some increase in comfort. Demo both before you decide<p><br><p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  3. rebel2002

rebel2002 LawnSite Member

Oh yardsmith is full of it... Encore is alot better than MTD.. I have had mine for 3 years! and still love it!... Get a rigid frontend..pivots.dont do ditches rthat good...won't hold hills.. &and when circling a tree you will leave a nice ring..NOT GOOD. i like encore but would buy exmark,walker,or dc now because of my ize production
  4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

No I'm not full of it.<br>I tested an encore 2 years ago & it was slow, wouldn't cut worth a #$&@ as far as a nice finish, & sat up so high I thought I was going to fall out of the perch on a 5 degree incline. Now that MTD's are about the same as Lesco, I'd pick it over Encore any day. But I didn't pick either, as I chose a bobcat 61&quot; to keep me productive & on schedule.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>