ZTR front tire shaking violently during transpot on road?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, May 10, 2007.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

On grass while mowing my Super Z is fine but while transporting on asphalt the front left tire begins shaking like crazy after about 20yds any suggestions? :confused:
  2. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

grease your front casters and wheels. your bearings might be loosening up or going out. how old is the mower?
  3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

slow down.

your frame is bent
  4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Every Super Z I have ever owned did this until I let the air pressure down to 8 lbs. This squats the mower and puts more tire on the ground, that will stop it, let us know. The Super Z will fly compared to other mowers and that makes it more pronounced but there is nothing wrong, just let some air out.

This also make it ride a lot better, I can tell the difference in 10 lbs. and 8 in the ride.
  5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the air pressure in the tires..
  6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that the front or rear tires that I should set at 8lbs.
  7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

We had that problem with a walk behind mower.Solved it by changing the bearings in the front wheels and the bushings in the front casters.
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You can set all 4 at 8 lbs. and you want believe how much better it will ride. I have never had any problems at 8 lbs. except once mowing a road ditch I pushed the tire loose from the rim and lost the air. This is once in hundreds of hours use.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

This one is easy. Lift the front end and tighten the castle nut on top of the caster, you need to do this every so often for me its once a year. What happens is things loosen and stretch over time, just simple maintenance.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It needs a front end alignment :laugh:

This stuff is frustrating, my Wb's do it, too...
    I just deal with it, slow down a bit, heck.

I won't let no air out, the deck will take a dump to ground level if I hit a nasty bump wrong.