1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

ZTR fuel problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike6633, Oct 12, 2008.

1. mike6633

mike6633 LawnSite Member

Lately I can only run my Grasshopper for about an hour or less and then it starts cutting out, like it is running out of gas. It will still run but barley. It looks like the fuel filter goes empty, but there is just enough gas to keep it barley running. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the fuel pressure, or fuel pump? can anyone please help?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Which model? Kohler or Kubota?

3. Wittapp

Wittapp LawnSite Member

have you changed the fuel filter and changed or cleaned the lines?

4. ixlr8

ixlr8 LawnSite Member

Could it be something as simple as a clog in the fuel tank cap vent?

5. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

1 If lines are old , possible cracks in intake line allowing air to enter.
    2 Possible water contamination of fuel system. completelydrain it ,dry it and re-assemble with clean fuel

6. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

1 If lines are old , possible cracks in intake line allowing air to enter.
    2 Possible water contamination of fuel system. completely drain it ,dry it and re-assemble with clean fuel

7. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I had an issue like that earlier this year...ended up being a silinoid that screws into the carb...not too sure but the guy said it has a magnet that when it spins it draws gas from the tank...Cost $100 to fix

8. mike6633

mike6633 LawnSite Member

the model is a 729, and it has a Kubota motor. we changed the fuel filter early this season but haven't changed the fuel lines, the mower is only a couple of years old though, but I guess it's worth a shot. and I might take a look at that silinoid. thanks for all the responses, if you have any other suggestions let me know.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Call Rusty, isn't it under warranty?

10. mike6633

mike6633 LawnSite Member

we took it to rusty but he couldn't fix it, he gave it back to us said that fuel pumps can't go bad.