ZTR gets hung up on ramp

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GravelyGuy, Jun 4, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I just got this trailer and I am having trouble with my 60" Z getting hung up on the gate. The trailer is pretty close to sitting level. I tried putting a 2x6 under the gate and it helped, but the scalp wheels still get stuck everytime. Any good solutions?

My 260z 052.jpg

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

You might try to bolt 2x10 the to ramp.

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. Your angle is too steep. you could also try jacking up the trailer everytime, but that gets to be a real PITA quick.

4. cebe800

cebe800 LawnSite Member

I had the same problem. Now I carry 2 6" wood blocks and a 2' x 8' piece of plywood with me now. I put half of the block under the gate and the ply wood sits on the other half. I just extended the gate so the angle wouldn't be so steep. Not the best fix but it works.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the quick replies.

Runner, I back my mower up the ramp every time. Would your method still work?

7. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

Buy a new hitch for your truck, that raises the trailer tongue a few inches, lowering your ramp a few inches.

8. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I nailed a 2 X 10 across the floor of the trailer so the wheels ride up over them at the crucial point (idea from the thread mentioned above-thankyou) and it works fine!:) It also acts as a resting point for the rear wheels in transit.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Or you can carry a small hunk of wood 4x8 and put it under the jack when you stop and jack up the trailer a little. If you forget to take it out you will feel the trailer pulling off of it when you start to drive away and you can stop and pick it up. Usually the 2x8 piece of wood 4" wide under the gate is sufficient as others have pointed out.

10. mike33087

mike33087 LawnSite Member

my unlce has the same problem with getting his walker up the ramp, and the easiest thing i found to get it on and off is to go up the ramp backwards at an angle and the same thing going off. I can get it off the trailer if i grab the handle on the deck while rolling foward and lift up like 1/2 an inch.

hope this helps