ZTR Help?? bobcat,hustler,exmark??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JB217, Jun 30, 2008.

1. JB217

JB217 LawnSite Member
    from NE

Ive done hrs of searching on this board. Im looking for some help in buying a ztr mower. Its a huge purchase for me and ill use it for mowing my yard and maybe a few neighbors* tops. No heavy commercial use.I have it down to:

Bobcat fastcat
    exmark quest
    hustler mini-z fastrak
    bunton rocket

budget-3500, 4000

are any of these light commercial quality?

and which of these is built to last in ur opinion.

yards all under an acre*

I like the kaw motor i can get for the bunton,bobcat. And the honda for the hustler.not sold on the briggs on the quest. Any info would be greatly appreciated in this major purchase. Thanks again

2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

How big are the yards you plan on mowing?

3. JB217

JB217 LawnSite Member
    from NE

It will be used mainly for my yard but for future reference i might cut a neighbors yard here and there. All under an acre.Just want the best machine or best build quality for my dollar.

4. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

Cant find a quality zero for 3 or 4 thousand, unfortunately. I was just on a thread the other day asking about the best zero for the money. To be honest, I'm not sure you have enough grass to justify the purchase. But to give you a starting point, you really need to check out the Dixon brand. It might be just what your situation requires.

5. JB217

JB217 LawnSite Member
    from NE

mowerman....u may be correct in saying that i dont have enough grass...but like i said my neighbors are older and have asked me in the past to do there yards.... im just weighing my options and i think u can find a decent mower for that money. I would consider buying used but everythings around 1000 hrs for anywhere between 2000-2500. That sounds like alot of hrs.

6. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

Well look at the dixons and if youre good with your hands you may want to consider swapping engines and bodies. Thats how I bought my first zero for $1500! It was a 21hp kawasaki(like new) on 50" Dixie Chopper. Its completely unstoppable but mows with the quality of a bush hog, which is why I am perilously close to buying another.

7. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Check out bad boy mowers, they are priced very well and very tough. Also, try out a john deere 304x. I have one of these and it has a nice cut, and is nice to drive. It costs a little over 3000.

8. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Of those you have listed I would say bobcat! However you might look at Encore fusion and Country Clipper!

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

1000 hours is not that much on a commercial mower. Depending on the engine and how well it was maintained that mower should be good for at least 2000 hours if not more. But if you really want to get a new one I would go with the Bob-cat or Bunton. I really like my bob-cat mower and think it performs very well. The bob-cat and bunton are each commercial mowers and should last you a long time for what you will be using it for. The Exmark quest is geared more for the homeowner without any extra lawns, so it won't be as commercial as the bob-cat or bunton. Good luck.

10. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I dont think you can get some of those mowers new in that price range. I know the Hustler will be more than your budget not to sure about the other mowers. Have you checked on the prices from your local dealers?