1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ztr help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon1029, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Jon1029

Jon1029 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I made a quick post earlier about a simplicity. I have a little more time now, and would like to get opinions.

Here is my situation...

I currently own a Swisher ZTR 20hp briggs/50" deck. It takes me 3 hours to mow my 2 and a half acres. deck belt broke, had to wait on Tractor supply to special order the belt. Had a friend that is in the lawn care business come over and mow my yard. he has a Bobcat 19hp Kaw./52" deck. Took him 1 hour to mow...1 HOUR!!! And he said it could be done faster.
    Ok, now, I have commitments from my three neighbors (which are all family), to let me mow thier yards thru next year. All together, I am looking a approximately 8 acres. Right now, I am thinking about buying the Bobcat 19hp Kaw/52 inch. I am willing to spend $7000. Local dealer priced the Bobcat at $6900 plus tax. These yards are mostly flat with two main inclines, that the swisher doesn't have any problem with.
    I had to have my friend come and mow for me again yesterday, this time I had him mow all 8 acres as a test. He did it in 4 hours.
    I will be paid $125 to mow these yards, so I figure that by the end of next year the mower will be paid off. And, I will only be sacrificing one extra hour a week. I think this is a good deal for me.

My problem is that there are too many mowers out there to choose from. I need help. Any other suggestions other than the Bobcat for my situation? I am confident about the Bobcat, but would be really happy to find a comparable machine for less money. Time, quality of cut, dependability are my main concerns as of now.

2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to cut really fast look at a dixie chopper
  3. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Two mowers I would suggest you look at in this price range. One is the Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle. The other is the Bad Boy Pup. Both are solidly built. These are the "economical" series from these companies that normally do big and beefy. What they don't have in finese/looks, they make up for in horsepower and brute strength.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't want to be the one to "sour grape" this, but......

Personally, I think that $6,900 is out of line for the ZT-219 52"......... way out of line.

You should be able to pick that mower up for $5,800 +/-

There are also a LOT of other good ZTR's out there you can pick up for $6,900 +/-

P.S.- Do you have a Lesco store nearby? Click the logo up top and check out their site to see....
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The Simplicity is a nice mower. They are considered residential machines but have most same features and roll off the same assembly line as the IS 1500 Ferris which is a commercial mower. The Simplicity's are also very reasonably priced.

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

why would ya spend 7k to gain 2" and a few ft lbs torque?

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

the swisher cant be that slow, can it?
  8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my 2 cents. I run bunton's (basically the same as bobcat if you are not familiar) they have been outstanding for me, just ordered #4 and 5. Great product, great cut but 6900 and change is too much for the setup yo are looking at, at least it would be considerably less around here. On a side note, my 03' 26hp efi is for sale, 830 hours, well maintained 61" deck, I would let that go for 6k and that unit is about 10k new (in my area). Sorry for the shameless attempt at advertising. :)
  9. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I have seen on ebay a brand new Toro Z Master 23hp 60" for $6950 brand new. I believe the dealer is in Virginia. Locally they go for $7200. They are very good mowers and would probably get your yards cut even faster.
  10. Carino Property Services

Carino Property Services LawnSite Member

Hello Jon, I would go to Ebay and punch in ferris mower a dealer has a Ferris IS1500 23 HP and I think 52" deck for $5995 I think this is a real good deal. Tom