ZTR help...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rowski, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Rowski

Rowski LawnSite Member

Thanks... for the wealth of knowledge!!

Getting ready to make final decision on a ztr. Been searching in the archives, for over two weeks, every night 1 to 2 hours. Searched by general questions and ztr mfg specific. Even went and looked at some and sat on them. Could not drive as our weather here is still in winter mode, snow flurries yesterday!

Heres a list of what I have looked at with pricing.

$7400 John Deere 727a 54" with 23hp kaw

$7499 Cub Cadet M54 54" with 23hp kaw

$6999 Bad Boy Pup 52" with 30hp kol

$7199 Ferris IS1500 52" with 25hp kaw

$7400 Kubota ZG23 54" with 23hp kol

$8099 Exmark Lazer HP 50" with 23hp kol

$7800 Grasshopper 223 52" with 23hp kol

$7900 Hustler super mini z 52" with 25hp kaw

Here's my thoughts from searching archives and seeing the ztr's. There are only 2 mower I did not see, the Hustler and the Bad Boy.

--John Deere 727a 7 ironII deck, Very rugged, gives very good cut for our grasses. Comfortable cockpit.

-- Cub Cadet m54, Nice wide large tires. Seems like you sit very high, foot operated deck pedal seems to be hard to get at.

-- Ferris IS1500, Suspension should make for less fatigue. Read that quality of cut is poor, hydro motor troubles.

--Kubota ZG23, Nice machine, looks rugged once look at it closely. Shaft drive deck, hydraulic deck lift.

-- Exmark Lazer hp, Nice but over priced, didn't see anything special for the extra money.

-- Grasshoper 223, Nothing special for the extra money.

--Huslter super mini z, Did not see or sit on. From reading very high quality mower, great company. Dealer is an 1.5 hrs away.

--Bad Boy Pup, Did not see or sit on. Dealer doesn't have any on order yet. Seems like the best bang for the buck. lots of hp. Seems rugged. New company. Concerned the dealer may drop line, he's the only one in the state.

I mow about 5 acres a week between 4 yards, 3 small one large. Not looking to get more work (lawn accounts), keep busy enough with my utility tractor.

Seems like they all with do the job. I really liked the Ferris IS1500 but I'm very concerned about the quality of cut issue.

Is my pricing out of line, can I do better?

Out of the mowers mentioned what't your favorite? And why?

Thanks for your time.

Derek

2. Eurosport

Eurosport LawnSite Member
    from Canada

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

IMO, thats a ton of money to drop on a mower if all you are doing is 5 acres and not looking to pick up any more. I would look for a year or two old 48-60" walk behind.

4. Rowski

Rowski LawnSite Member

I did not consider Toro. A local landscape company that are customer's of mine at the shop and I help them with my utility tractor. They used to run (2) Toro's and were not happy with the cut in damp conditions. This was a few years ago and I'm sure the quality cut issue has been improved. Also the Toro dealers that are closer to me (not New Haven Equipment) are horrible. One gives the best deal and the service/warranty sucks. The other always wants top dollar with marginal service.

From what I understand is Toro and Exmark are similar, one owns the other.

Derek

5. Eurosport

from Canada

Chances are if their toros were older they had the SFS deck which hasn't gotten the best reviews. The Turbo Force on the other hand has gotten great reviews, especially in northern grass conditions.

You are correct Toro owns Exmark.

6. Rowski

Rowski LawnSite Member

I don't know if its a ton of money but your right its a lot for the amount of lawn I care for.

My reasons are:

-- I do plan on keeping it a long time.
    -- I only want to make the purchase once.
    -- I fix/service/repair all the time (my profession), new machine for me.
    -- I've got 2 boys 5 and 2 that will be needing jobs as they get older.
    -- I stand and walk enough.

Thanks

Derek

7. Rowski

Rowski LawnSite Member

Well... I guess it can't hurt to look.

Is the Turbo Force and the Triton the same deck with different names?

Where about in Canada are you?

Derek

8. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

I love my Lesco 60in Z2 It is the same mower as the Cub M60 but it is only 6500 and has a 3 year com. warrenty. ALot of people Knock them but I am telling you it is the best for your money, and I'd put it up against a toro or scag anyday. Better stripes too JOE

9. Eurosport

from Canada

The triton deck and Turbo Force deck are 2 totally different decks. First opinion on the triton deck was it was nothing to write home about but I think Exmark released a fix for it that helps the cut quality.

I live right above Vermont in Quebec, Canada

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

To each is own, good luck :confused: