ZTR, how do you control

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Donald A, May 19, 2008.

1. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

I'm new to the ZTR, I have a ZD331 with 72" deck. I can cut fairly straight with it except cutting down hill. It seems to have a mind of its own cutting down hill. Is this just inexperience on my part or does anyone else have this problem? Any hints???
  2. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

All Zs are a bit squirly on the downhill, when you start to go down hill, start of slow and steady, almost pulling back on the levers. Take your time to get the feel of how it reacts, over time and experience you will not have an issue.
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

What Toad said.................
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

practice makes perfect! I experienced the same thing at first, then after a few passes, I had it totally under control. It takes time to learn how fast you can go going downhill and uphill.
    After awhile, you'll learn what your machine is capable of and know how far you can push it......
  5. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

Thanks all,
    I thought the lack of control was due to my lack of experience.
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

downhill is tricky. start out slow and work your way up to a safe speed. Whatever you do, don't go to fast, you won't stop near quick enough. Once the rear tires start to slip, your done. Going down at a angle can be just as bad. The Enforcer is terrible on hills at a angle. The inside tire always wants to slide, once it does, it won't follow the line your cutting and veer off. Then you try to back up to get on the line and it spins. It's tough when first getting started on a ZTR.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I just can't let this go, there are more than a few mistakes I'll let you guys make and figure this out on your own, but this ain't one of them, it's just too serious.

NEVER point a Z down hill.
    You'll kill yourself one day, I'm telling you.

Oh it ain't so bad, yeh until you get one there's a cement culvert at the bottom and both your tires sliding.
    Because I know the day I about crapped my pants made me a true believer.

The only two ways to deal with a hill are either horizontally across...
    Or front casters always point UP hill, never EVER point that joker down hill.
    Yes, even if you have to reverse down it, you point the Z UP!

As for Wb's I don't care, you can disrespect them all you want...
    You shouldn't, the Wb can hurt you bad one day, smack yo azz upside the head and mess you up...
    But, more than likely you'll live to tell about it, I did, I shouldn't say it but more than a few times even.

Not with a Z, the Z will kill you.
  8. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

I think don a is refering to a gradual slope, my whole back yard is on a hill, would look quite silly backing down, about a 15deg incline , anytime you go down a less than flat area they handle differently.
    But maybe Don should clear up what he means by down hill? FYI, If I mowed like a sissy all day I wouldnt get `1/4 of my lawns done in a day, up and down severe hills and inclines all day. You need to use your head in every situation you encounter and know when and where you can do this!!
  9. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

Sorry about the confusion. The hill is about 10-15 deg, an acre wide and about 150' long. The property ends at a creek and there is plenty of flat area to stop the mower if it were to start sliding. I am not sliding down the slope, just having a hard time keeping it going in a straight line. I think the key is to practice and slow down.
    Thank all for the advice.
  10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Are the tires loosing traction or is it that you just cant hold a straight line?
    Have you got a pic of the property?