1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

ZTR issue....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRUZMISL, Aug 10, 2004.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

I have a JD SST16 spin steer and the rear tires dig up the grass when I turn around. I was thinking maybe some added weight at the rear might help. Any advice? Possibly a tire change?

Thanks,
    JOE

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

slow down and make 3 point turns, if you don't know what i mean, SEARCH for it (top of the page)

3. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Thanks! I did a search and learned you need to be sure both wheels are always moving but my mower has a steering wheel, not levers. I guess I'm relegated to 3 point turns unless I can adjust the turning somehow.

Joe

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

The spinsteer is an interesting piece of technology, but you cannot pivot on one tire without tearing turf unless you really slow down. Even then, some turf will tear.

I looked at this machine back in March and was tempted, but I kept thinking about that one wheel. If you see posts regarding turf tears with walkbehinds and ZTRs, it's really the same story: any wheel that doesn't turn while the mower pivots on it is liable to tear turf. No way around it.