ZTR Kicking up DUST???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1998tahoe, Jun 24, 2008.

1. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

With it getting dry around here it is getting awful to mow and not get covered in dust in the first 10 mins of mowing.. How do ya'll keep from getting covered?? I wear contacts and it is down right miserable.....*trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*
  2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

It's all part of the job. On the properties we do that can become dusty, we try to mow those first thing in the am. The dew, if any, helps a little bit. Otherwise, I'd say ditch the contacts during the day and get some glasses.
  3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Its the nature of the beast!
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Only a trace of rain in my part of town(and where most of my customers are located.) Cutting mostly weeds after 3 weeks and some only 1 time during June:dizzy: Very frustrating time thats for sure
    High lift blades sucking up all that dirt, dust and dead weeds. You can't see where you are going its so bad at times in certain yards.
    You can see what you think are big thundertorms only producing 10 minute drizzles and then fizzling out altogether. Fools the weather guessers everytime
  5. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have found there is NOTHING you can do but GRIN & BARE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

I run hi lifts. Will Gator blades not dust as bad??? Or now since it is dry will they cut better than hi lifts???
  7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Hire someone else to do it...sorry.

Dust masks help when it's real bad but they are annoying. Better than blowing black **** out your nose. Anyone else use a netti pot? I can't live without it.

A good pair of goggles will keep most of the dust out of the eyes. I hope you were some kind of eye protection with those contacts.
  8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Slow rpm's down in the really bad spots.
  9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Run blades with the lowest lift you can find. You will still have dust, just not as bad. Usally the mulching blades have the lowest lift.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

dont know if you can do it..... But we turn on the sprinkler system for about 5 minutes