ZTR: Kubota ZD 21-60 vs. Exmark 25/60

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shumdit, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Shumdit

Shumdit LawnSite Member

I think I may have narrowed my choices down to these two machines. Both are sold by the same dealer, so that is not a consideration. The Kubota is more $$, but by the time I add the suspension seat to the Exmark and given the difference in finance rates (Kubota has great financing) the payments will be about the same. So give me your opinions on why is better than the other. I am looking for a FAST cut, with good ride quality (so I can actually use the speed the mowers can generate). I like the Diesel on the Kubota, but for the light duty I will put a mower through, I don't see fuel economy or engine life being a huge factor for me. I am leaning towards the Kubota, but maybe that's because I like orange (big Clemson fan:D ), and not really because it is the better mower. So please give me your opinions!

2. I dont know much about the kubota but exmark is top of the line.Plus exmark really stands behinds there products

3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

If they are the same price id get the Kubota that 21 diesel will put out good power and outlast any gas=engine made. Check out the prices on the exmark diesel...very pricey and the Kubotas ive seen have a nice cut, wouldn't take me long to choose.... Marks Mowing Service

4. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

I can't speak for Exmarks but I have looked the Kubotas over pretty thoroughly. They seem to be very well built machines. It looked as though they share in the excellent engineering of their big brothers (tractors). I expecially liked the suspension seat and the use of a power take off in place of an electric clutch. The front axle tilt-up feature is also extremely cool. And of course they make one of the most reliable and long lasting engines out there. I don't think you could go too wrong by trying one out.

5. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Kubota makes about the best engine made. If you can get one at a good price I would go for it. I think it will cut good also.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Its only a 21 hp engine. Diesel or not, 21 isn't enough for a 60" deck! I had a 22hp Yanmar on a 60" and it was barely adequate. The other thing that kinda worries me is the use of integrated transaxle/pump/motor. Not that this is a problem, but it shares some similarity to Grasshoppers and Walkers' transmissions, only its a Kubota only item, which scares me. Also, look in a J. Thomas, or Greenline catalog......There are VERY few aftermarket parts available.

Just some opinions...

7. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned exmarks and looked at the kubota real hard. I would stick with the exmark between those two mowers. The kubota sounds good and looks good but it has way to many gadgets on it, and it has a stamped mower deck. This deck clumps real bad in wet grass. In dry grass it does pretty good, but with my employees I could just see replacing that deck often. And kubota parts are high!

8. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

A 21hp diesel is plenty iof power for a 60" deck. We have a Jacobson T422d Outfront at the golf course. It has a 23hp kubato diesel engine and is a 72" deck. Also everything is run off the Hydrualics including the deck drive. 21 is plenty of power.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Longview,

Two key words that you said......GOLF COURSE . If all I mowed was golf courses, I could deal with half the hp that I have now!

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at it, but what I noticed was slow blade tip speed, and its very heavy.
    With the EFIs out now, there may not be any need to drag another can of fuel along for the ride. :p